Phrag andreettae leaf bronzing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about having the pots on a warming mat with a thermostat instead of heating the entire greenhouse more? Would warmer potting media compensate for cooler air around the leaves?

Thanks again

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You know, I've had this happen to my besseae and hanne popow. I really had no clue what it was.

I use those cables that are meant for floors 100W/m2(?) plus a thermostat just in case and not to usee excess electricity. Gain 1-2C(3-4F) plus a bit more at the roots.

I agree with Eliseo. This leaf bronzing also occurred in our own andreettaes and fischeris when night temps fell below 60F. It is not a cool grower like besseae.

Now to play devils advocate, have you repeated the cold temp observation since changing your feeding/watering regime?

The other considerations.

Is the bronzing due to actual inability of the plant enzyme systems being incapable of operating properly at 55 vs 60. Is this something like a fall foliage response to suck out chlorophyll and leave behind the carotenoids, or do we generally restrict water (more than normal) to our plants for fear of root rot when the temps are colder.?

The answer could be both, but just throwing that out since I've heard a lot of stories in the last few years about what growers do (almost subconsciously) due to old learned habits and preconceived notions. Old habits die hard.

Rick,

I've been using K-Lite now for over a year - lately alternating with Wuxal Ca after reading one of Eliseo's ST posts- and there's been a repotting cycle since changing over, so I'd think the effect of the "old growing habits" might have been minimized by now. I'm shooting for 20 ppm N with both fertilizers and fertilizing with every irrigation at this time of year. It's really too early to say whether cool temps are the only leaf bronzing cause, though, it's been only 6 weeks since making the change to 4-5* F warmer night temps..... but the bronzing seems to be fading.

Rick,

It's really too early to say whether cool temps are the only leaf bronzing cause, though, it's been only 6 weeks since making the change to 4-5* F warmer night temps..... but the bronzing seems to be fading.

So you are seeing bronzing this winter? It's been exceptionally cold this past winter.

I don't have andreeta, but do have a couple of fischeri. I've been able to keep the lows no less than 60F (with probably a lot fewer nights at 60 than up in Chicagao way too). But haven't seen any bronzing in my phrags.

Please share with us your experience. I wish i could find a cooling math for my besseaes!

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk

Haven't tried warming mats yet but they seem like a good idea....... Anyone able to recommend a source for these?
Tom- would go to Brew and Grow down the street from you in Bolingbrook. Although the place is set up for Cannabis cultivation, they know there stuff. They get most of their products though Sunlight Supply systems. They should be able to tell you the increased temps involved with each and some can be manually controlled to help dial them in. The stuff at reptile shops are designed for just that and fetch a much higher price for the sizes.

They also get a lot of other useful products that I often have to mail order otherwise. Plus they you can do tasting of their microbrews while you shop unless you have moved onto only spirits.

I have also noticed bronze leaves on my andrettae; also having too low temperatures (10C min) Have moved it now;)

Here we go!
6ezehe5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back