Phrag andreetae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
Heres a couple more pictures.

I find this flower hard to take pictures of. These picture were really dark, so I brightened them in Photoshop. The colors are true.

Phragandreetta4smallcopy.jpg

Phragandreetta8smallcopy.jpg

Enjoy!

Kyle

Very pretty, it would be interesting to see the variation in the different clones

Wonderful Phrag

:) thanks so much for sharing great photos and news . Can't wait to be able to get one . The kovachii has finally made it here to Australia soon Ill have some babies - now the i want thing is on again ???? just love the colour of this one . again thanks for sharing .
billie

Very pretty! Thanks for posting these :) Is it just me, or does the petal shape remind anyone else of kovachii? There are some obvious similarities to fischeri. I like it :)

-Matthew

gore42 said:
Very pretty! Thanks for posting these :) Is it just me, or does the petal shape remind anyone else of kovachii? There are some obvious similarities to fischeri. I like it :)

-Matthew
That was my first thought. There is purported to be a white kovachii.

We'll kovacii and this little guy are simular, but they are also very different, size being the biggest difference. These guys bloom sequentually (sp?) (techincally so does kovachii, but not as often as these guys, andrettae is like a fisheri or schlimii, they can bloom for a few weeks, kovachii produces 3 blooms and thats it).

The leaves are very different, closer to a fisherii or besseae leaf then to kovachii or schlimii.

The plants are very small. I think people will really enjoy these little guys.

Kyle

I think there are others in this section waiting to be discovered.

Maybe cuter?

Kyle said:
I think there are others in this section waiting to be discovered.

Maybe cuter?

I concur! I would guess the Colombian Andes have a species or two that need discovering. Not that I'm about to volunteer to go hiking through the Colombian Andes...

--Stephen

The plant you show is similar if not the same plant that has been described and in very limited cultivation for many years as schlimii var. albiflorum. I will have to search when I get time for a flower photo. The division we were given many years ago was imported in 1979, it eventually gave up on us but we do have a few plants we grew from seed from it. Guess I'll have to try to find them, and find them some expert homes since were not Phrag fans.

Bob Wellenstein said:
Guess I'll have to try to find them, and find them some expert homes since were not Phrag fans.

Well, my name is phragfan in another forum. Please let me know if you find them...

I found pictures of the selfing of the mother plants and cropped and reduced them. I have a slide of the mother plant somewhere, it had wider floppy petals. The foliage in the photos is of other phrags on the bench, the foliage of these is more like a narrower besseae leaf. Same? I don't know, maybe. The original plant was imported if I recall correctly in 1979, and identified as from Colombia. It was identified as Phrag schlimii v albaflorum by Leslie Garay. We received a divivion a number of years ago. Guess I should look for the selfings.

5093.jpg

5094.jpg

mmmm, very nice, Mr Wellenstein :) If you locate the seedlings, please let me know, too!

Matthew Gore

Very cute. Looks compact. Phrag. andreettæ looks like it might win people over just on the cute factor even if its not great for breeding.

Latest posts

Back