Phrag andreetae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Bob,
the plant which you have shown is not a Phrag. schlimii forma albiflorum.
The true one was shown on an old plate. The scan is not so good.
73631b63.jpg

It was published as
Cypripedium schlimii var. albiflorum LINDEN, in Illustration Horticole, t. 183; 1874
Later on it was combined to
Phragmipedium schlimii forma albiflorum (LINDEN)GRUSS 1996 in Die Orchidee 47(1): 22; 1996
It shows white flowers only with a red opening of the lip. The plant is like a normal Phrag. schlimii.

Best greetings

Olaf

Ecuagenera will probably have seedlings available in a couple years.

Kyle

Kyle said:
Ecuagenera will probably have seedlings available in a couple years.

Kyle
Ecuagenera has seedlings now... They aren't interested in trying to export them to the US at this time. I know, I've pestered them repeatedly about it...

Unfortunatly, at present, Ecuagenera isn't able to export phrag species, including andreettae. Maybe thats why they won't comit to a deal

The seedlings are actually divisions.

They don't have very many plants, probably zero in compot and they had a few mother flasks.

And, in case you curious, they haven't made any hybrids with it.

It will take a while before we start to see them for sale.

I think Rob pops in from time to time.

Ron, these little cuties are from the border of Ecuador and Columbia. Very near to the habitat of P. fischeri.

Maybe next years trip, Ron?

I'd love to learn more about this species. I think it's amazing. Has it colonized a site or are plants sort of randomly dispersed here and there?

A new person in Ecuador is in charge of issueing the permits. She is pretty strict. Its just a matter of working throught all the red tape. Takes time.

Kyle

Kyle said:
I think Rob pops in from time to time.

Ron, these little cuties are from the border of Ecuador and Columbia. Very near to the habitat of P. fischeri.

Maybe next years trip, Ron?

I will keep my eyes peeled for any new species while on this years trip :D

Ron-NY said:
I will keep my eyes peeled for any new species while on this years trip :D

When I met Phil Cribb in Ecuador last year, he said that their likely must be one or two more Phrag species in the Micropetulum section waiting to be discovered that would link fisherii, schlimii, besseae and kovachii. Both evolutionary and geographically.

Good luck Ron. What will you call it? Phrag ronnii?

Kyle

I am almost sure there are more than 2 undiscovered species of Phragmipedium... =)

-Pat

Back