Phrag. Andean Tears

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too long ago, there was a heated discussion on this forum about the credibility of the Arias' kovachii and hybrids. Time will tell -- maybe is beginning to tell.

Not too long ago, there was a heated discussion on this forum about the credibility of the Arias' kovachii and hybrids. Time will tell -- maybe is beginning to tell.

I think time has told. All crosses have begun to bloom and all have bloomed true.

I am surprised that Peruflora would do something like this (Re: incorrect photo), but I think in regards to the crosses, they have been proven to be sold correctly. If given the oppurtunity, I would not hesitate to buy a flask from Manolo.

Kyle

To Barbara, Dot, Kevin and John

Dot, this one comes from a flask imported from Peruflora in 2006.

Yes, Kevin, this is the one i was talking about a few weeks ago. I was expecting a multifloral since Wallisii is the pod parent, but i like it a lot.
I hope that, at least, one of the others from that flask will be multifloral.

Barbara, the light color maybe because the plant had decided to bloom during the hot summer days. Also, we have to consider the fact that Wallisii, as a light color species do have an influence on the coloration too.

Here`s the measurements:

Plant: 50cm leafspan
Dorsal: 2.5cm X 6 cm
Petals: 2cm X 11 cm
Synsepal: 4cm X 5cm
Whole flower: from the tip of the dorsal to the bottom of the pouch: 12.5cm
X 9cm wide from a petal to the other.

Here`s a front photo for John
AndeanTears.jpg

I think time has told. All crosses have begun to bloom and all have bloomed true.

I am surprised that Peruflora would do something like this (Re: incorrect photo), but I think in regards to the crosses, they have been proven to be sold correctly. If given the oppurtunity, I would not hesitate to buy a flask from Manolo.

Kyle

I'm agree with Kyle and John,

It is true than the first pictures we’ve seen was different, not what I was expecting from it at first too. But now we are talking about the difference between 2 flowers let see some more flowers before to throw the rock at somebody...

My experience with Pharmipediums, tell me than we can’t judge a cross potential by its first flowering. We do have all to learn about P. kovachii and its influence in hybridisation too, all is still expectations. From now, crosses and specimens we’ve seen from each cross are showing different levels of variability too.

Peruflora’s breeding program was primary hybrids, selfing and sibling. And all what I’ve got from them should bloom this year, plants are all growing very well and by the foliage and I don’t have any doubt about all the primary crosses identification.

I'll look forward to seeing the first blooms on plants from this hybrid crossed back onto kovachii = 3/4 kovachii and 1/4 wallisii. It would be neat if that widened the petals even more, flattened the dorsal and introduced more colour saturation.

I'll look forward to seeing the first blooms on plants from this hybrid crossed back onto kovachii = 3/4 kovachii and 1/4 wallisii. It would be neat if that widened the petals even more, flattened the dorsal and introduced more colour saturation.

That would be interesting. For me, I'd like to see this hybrid crossed back onto wallisii. Might give the look of some of the long-petalled besseae crosses, except with a mauve colour instead of red. Actually, a Grande x kovachii would be nice too. Anyone know if this has been done?

http://www.phragmipediumkovachii.com/flasks/Our-catalog.htm
Nobody has advertised that cross yet.
I have problems w/ Perufloras transport methods because they number the plants and I have unclear sales references! :( and we all know the issue that happened w/ flasks before. That said, this is the nicest Andean Tears I've seen [of 3] to date. I realize that this isn't a complete list as I think I have some that aren't on this site. Sorry.

Last edited:
That would be interesting. For me, I'd like to see this hybrid crossed back onto wallisii. Might give the look of some of the long-petalled besseae crosses, except with a mauve colour instead of red. Actually, a Grande x kovachii would be nice too. Anyone know if this has been done?

Grande x kovachii = Phragmipedium Frank Smith registred by Krull-Smith few months ago...

Nice! Thanks. Are you going to do some kovachii breeding too when yours bloom? What direction would you like to go in?

Nice! Thanks. Are you going to do some kovachii breeding too when yours bloom? What direction would you like to go in?

For sure!

I do have plenty of cross just waiting for the pollen now :evil:. And with my experience, I will not spoil them....
I will explore as much directions as possible; but my first goal is always to understand the transmission of genes and its expression in the Phragmipedium hybridisation.

I will sib and self the specie and treat them to get some 4n plants for sure.
But first, I will wait to see the kovachii influence and results and then decide where I will go.

But since Denis and I first saw the kovachii, we are dreaming about a large branching Phragmipedium holding many colourful flowers as big as Cattleya. Isn’t a nice dream! :drool:

I agree, that Dennis's picture of Andean Tears, is more what I would have expected of this cross. The picture that is on our website was given to us by Manolo Arias (from Peruflora), who registered the cross back in 2008. Thus far I know Dennis's plant may be the second one of that cross to bloom. I don't think we can make any conclusions yet before we see more of this cross, there may be some variation within the cross. As an example: on our website the picture of Phrag. Eumelia Arias (schlimii x kovachii); it too looks very different compared to when we first bloomed that cross.
compare: http://www.orchidweb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1602 to
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11699

Robert

As an example: on our website the picture of Phrag. Eumelia Arias (schlimii x kovachii); it too looks very different compared to when we first bloomed that cross.
compare: http://www.orchidweb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1602 to
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11699

Robert

I actually updated our web with our own photo, so this comparison is gone. Personally, I don't think that either photo we received for kovachii x wallisii and kovachii x schlimii were accurate, if even real. kovachii x schlimii looked to be photoshop-ed together, and the kovachii x wallisii did not look like it had kovachii in the background at all! I'm glad to see this posting and really like the way this cross turned out.

Back