Phrag. Andean Tears

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phragmatic

Blooming size
Reaction score
This is Phrag. Andean Tears (Wallisii X Kovachii).

The flower opened 2 weeks ago and already started to browning around the edge of the pouch when i took these pictures 2 days ago...:sob: Unfortunately, i couldn`t take the pictures sooner...

Front
ATbiais.jpg

side
ATct.jpg

back
ATdos.jpg

It is lovely, but I thought that Andean Tears was a darker colour. I have a small seedling in my collection which came from Cloud's Orchids back in Aug. 2008, but don't believe that is near blooming size yet.

Your plant doesn't look very large, might I ask about the size?

Barbara, I think you are thinking of Inti's Tears (Phrag. Sorcerer's Apprentice x Phrag. caudatum var. warscewiczianum)

Denis, that is just gorgeous. I love the pouch, especially. And the color. And the shape. Where did you get this plant???

I'm not familiar with that one Dot. But I have seen a couple pictures of Andean Tears, one of which from OrchidWeb, and they were showing the colour to be a bit darker then this. But I really do like the pale pink too, I wonder if that will darken in the cooler weather.

I'm wondering where it came from too....

Is this the same plant that you were concerned about earlier, with the bud forming too soon? Interesting result with this cross. I like the soft pink colours!

Barbara, I too have only seen one other photo of this cross - the one on Orchid Limited's site from Manolo Arias of Peruflora. I, and a few others, am a little sceptical if that photo is accurate. It looks like a Belle Hougue Point (or similar cross) coloured purple! If it is right, why is there such a huge difference between it and this one? The colour and shape are very different. Anyone have comments on this?

We'll see how long it will be until mine blooms!

Denis - do you have the measurements of the flower?

That's very pretty. That's a good mix of the two parents. I saw a picture of another one posted here and there was very little kovachii influence.

e-spice

Love it, love it, love it!! The color and the frilly petals are very appealing. Maybe its just the girl in me.........

Barbara, I too have only seen one other photo of this cross - the one on Orchid Limited's site from Manolo Arias of Peruflora. I, and a few others, am a little sceptical if that photo is accurate. It looks like a Belle Hougue Point (or similar cross) coloured purple! If it is right, why is there such a huge difference between it and this one? The colour and shape are very different. Anyone have comments on this?

I don't often say this with such confidence.....just from seeing a single photo; but, that photo on Orchid Limited's site is NOT labelled correctly. I see no kovachii influence at all. The flower pictured in this thread looks exactly what you would expect from a cross of wallisii and kovachii. It is obviously intermediate between the two. The flower on OL's site has vestigal horns on each side of the pouch rim. Neither wallisii nor kovachii has horns. They are a sign that something like longifolium or boisserianum is in the lineage.

I don't often say this with such confidence.....just from seeing a single photo; but, that photo on Orchid Limited's site is NOT labelled correctly. I see no kovachii influence at all. The flower pictured in this thread looks exactly what you would expect from a cross of wallisii and kovachii. It is obviously intermediate between the two. The flower on OL's site has vestigal horns on each side of the pouch rim. Neither wallisii nor kovachii has horns. They are a sign that something like longifolium or boisserianum is in the lineage.

Yes, I agree. When Jason Fischer was here, he was sceptical of it too. How do you explain Manolo Arias of being credited for the photo? Doesn't seem very professional.

I agree too!

Latest posts

Back