Phrag. anchicayense new Colombian species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteson

Phragmad
Reaction score
Dear friends,

A "new" species from Colombia. It has been traded and smuggled during the last few years as Phrag. hirtzii but it is a nice member of the Himantopetalum Subgenus. The description has been published in the AOR October-November number:

Phragmipedium Anchicayense; Braem, Tesón & Faust, a new slipper orchid from Colombia; AOR, Oct-Nov, 2016.

Two of the three authors are active members of this forum!:)

Can you imagine what would be the result when crossed with boissierianum?
and when crossed with pearcei?

image.jpg

image.jpg

anchicayense_drawing_BN.jpg

Last edited:
Ted the key is the lack of auricula (Pouch side "Horns"). Sometimes the petal twisting is cultual, but I would say yes, it is also a norm with this species

What Abax said!
Woohoo... a new Phrag!

Some people is confused asking how to know if their plants are hirtzii or anchicayense:
hirtzii is the one in the left and anchicayense is in the right. Please note the lack of auricula (lateral "horns") in anchicayense. Pictures of hirtzii from JP Faust
f83007250625b8393eef59820aec8d3c.jpg

I bought a Phragmidium labelled as Hirtzii, it has never bloomed, can't wait to know if it is a true Hirtzii or Anchicayense. This plant comes from a seller based in Colombia, it would not be the first time I buy from them plants labeled wrong..

Eliseo, are the leaves the same between the two species ?

The leaves in anchicayense are somehow shorter but it is very hard to distingush it from hirtzii looking only to the vegetative parts.
Put your plant under Very High light levels (full sun condtions) gradually and it will start to spike in a couple of months.

Thanks for the comparison photos, Eliseo. I am happy to confirm that mine is hirtzii. Now I have to find an anchicayense. :)

Last edited:
Dear friends,

A "new" species from Colombia. It has been traded and smuggled during the last few years as Phrag. hirtzii but it is a nice member of the Himantopetalum Subgenus. The description has been published in the AOR October-November number:

Phragmipedium Anchicayense; Braem, Tesón & Faust, a new slipper orchid from Colombia; AOR, Oct-Nov, 2016.

Two of the three authors are active members of this forum!:)

Can you imagine what would be the result when crossed with boissierianum?
and when crossed with pearcei?
[/img]

Yes! I can imagine what to do with that species, lots of possibilities!
I like the form, the colouration and paterns... Can't wait to find one if there are some around...

Good stuff! So, getting back to Rick's plant, it could be a true hirtizii because of the pouch horns and all the wavy petal edges?

Thanks a lot! Yes. The the Rick´s plant is hirtzii. By the time of the discussion about Rick´s plant is when started to think about my plants being something new.
I keep thinking that there is boissierianum "blood" in the true hirtzii... but it is pure speculation. The anchicayense x boissierianum is already in our lab, so we only need to wait few years to have some answers. :D

Last edited:
Back