Phrag. Allison Strohm (kovachii x Living Fire 4N)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
I haven't been around for a while! I was away on a study trip for six weeks, and I have not been on slipper talk for a total of ~8 weeks. That's 17578 new posts!!!

This plant was in bud when I left Canada, and I thought that I would miss the blooming after so many years of growing from seedling. Luckily it was opening a new bud when I came back.

I know large flowers can be produced without kovachii genes, but these plants tend to be huge! I think kovachii reduced plant size in my plant.

The tooth may confirm that it is a polypoid plant. But the other blooms did not have any teeth. The first bloom, still fresh on the floor when I got back, might have been larger. Its putting out its fourth bud right now, but the hotter weather is making dull coloured flowers. It's a sequential bloomer.

I haven't been around for a while! I was away on a study trip for six weeks, and I have not been on slipper talk for a total of ~8 weeks. That's 17578 new posts!!!

Welcome back, have fun.

I know large flowers can be produced without kovachii genes, but these plants tend to be huge! I think kovachii reduced plant size in my plant.

Maybe the Sorcerer's Apprentice parent is huge but I can't imagine Pk not making the leaves thick and wide!

Yay besseae hybrids!! :D

This plant was in bud when I left Canada, and I thought that I would miss the blooming after so many years of growing from seedling. Luckily it was opening a new bud when I came back.

The tooth may confirm that it is a polypoid plant. But the other blooms did not have any teeth. The first bloom, still fresh on the floor when I got back, might have been larger. Its putting out its fourth bud right now, but the hotter weather is making dull coloured flowers. It's a sequential bloomer.

What does the tooth have to do with polyploidy? Have the chromosomes on this plant be counted? Only a chromosome count will show whether this is possibly a polyploid. And what evidence is there that the "Living Fire" was indeed a 4N?

The cross was done co-operatively by Alfredo Manrique & Glenn Decker. I believe Glenn had aquired the Living Fire as a proven 4N, with the chromosomes counted, the Living Fire 4N came either from the Eric Young foundation or it came from H.P. Norton, both sources occasionally actually do the chromosome counts on select plants. The probablility of the count for the Living Fire being acurate is quite a bit better than 50:50, but I agree, without knowing what data was used to reach the conclusion that the Living Fire was 4N, one can not be certain. One would have to contact Glenn for the provenance of his Living Fire.

I agree, without an actual count, one can not know if the plant is a polyploid, and it is tough to decipher whether one has an even tetraploid, or some other ploidy number. Too often people do not distinguish between proven counted polyploids, versus suspected polyploids.

As an aside, in February I had dinnner with Allison Strom, a shy but delightful young woman.

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm happy since it isn't too twisted.

I was only suspicious of . Perhaps I worded it poorly. It's probably 3N. Based on what I've seen and read some phrags that are polyploid have toothed flowers occasionally and some always have teeth unfortunately. A test would be the best way to confirm.

Hey Fren.
Welcome back.
You may find that the size of the flower increases a lot over the next week.
Chuck

"..a shy but delightful young woman."
Really!?!? :D

Yes, really. :poke: She was the lab tech working at Fritz Schomburg's Lab that replated damn near every one of the Phrag kovachii seedlings and hybrids that Glenn Decker sold between 2 and 5 years ago. She has "the touch" when it comes to handling protocorms and plantlets during the replating process. Fritz has "the crush touch" when it comes to replates, so he hired Allison to do that part.

And while she is a graduate student at the UW-Madison, she is young enough to be my daughter, or possibly my granddaughter, besides, her boyfriend would kick my arse if I tried to make moves on her during dinner. :evil: They were an enjoyable couple to share conversation with. Then they went off to a dance bar, and I went home. :eek:

What does the tooth have to do with polyploidy? Have the chromosomes on this plant be counted? Only a chromosome count will show whether this is possibly a polyploid. And what evidence is there that the "Living Fire" was indeed a 4N?

The tooth have to do with Polyploidy.Is due to "excess material".This excess material is due to uneven distribution of cells of various ploydity.In a 4N plant,not all cells are 4N...some 3N some 2n majority 4N some 6N...etc...(particularly in treated unnatural 4N).This produce an uneven and asymmetrical distribution of different dimension cells on the edges and can be seen particulaly on petals,but also on other parts of the plants(ex:ridges on leaves,transparent multithoothy leaves tips,hooks on stems,etc...)...like doing a square puzzle and use on one side a bigger piece...

Obviously is not a good way to identifie a 4N,but is a good hint that can made worth doing a test to see the ploydity of a plant.

Latest posts

Back