Phrag Alfredo Manrique

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I haven't posted a kovachii hybrid in awhile. This one caught my eye today while at the greenhouse. Glen sold many in spike at the WOC, I am glad this one did not go. It has wonderful color and form! I tagged it to save for breeding purposes. I should have taken measurements but I forgot.

Phragmipedium kovachii ‘Ana’ x Phragmipedium Walter Schomburg. Walter Schomburg = Eric Young x Andean Fire

Alfredomanrique.jpg

AMclose.jpg

I took measurements of the flower.
Petal span 5.25" (13.3 cm)
Petal width 1.5" (3.8 cm)

While I had the ruler out, I took a quick measurement on a Suzanne Decker. The is one currently in bloom that is just a hair over 6" in petal span

Personally, I think this one looks award quality. More so than some of the pics I've seen of newly awarded kovachii hybrids.

Like many Phrag hybrids, it will be much better after a couple more bloomings.
This is just a preview of the future! It will interesting to see how many flowers it will carry. With Phrag lindleyanum and Phrag besseae in the background it should have potential to carry several flowers.

Personally, I think this one looks award quality. More so than some of the pics I've seen of newly awarded kovachii hybrids.

Candace, I totally agree. Unfortunately, judging was last weekend in NY. I don't know when Boston judging is but Glen is away on vacation this week.

There is at least one more bud on this spike.

Couldn't agree with you more! Can you imagine what this flower will look like on it's 2nd & 3rd blooming?!!!!:drool::drool::drool:

Congratulations RON!

Good you save it. And you are right, this is good material for future breeding. Awards will come anyway.

Glen and Alfredo should be very proud of their hybrids already blooming.
Thanks a lot for sharing good pics

Hola Isaias! Yes,awards will come. I am looking forward to seeing the next generation of plants with kovachii background. I am also looking forward to seeing some of these bred back to kovachii.

Hey Candace, do you know where any photos of awarded kovachii hybrids are? If so, please post them!

e-spice

I believe Rob(littlefrog) and Ron have posted a couple of awarded ones. They'd be in the phrag photo section.

Latest posts

Back