Phrag Ada (or Cardinal-Schlim)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sargentianum x besseae = M. Dick Clements, M. Dick Clements x besseae = Jason Fischer, and Jason Fischer x besseae = Scarlet O'Hara

longifolium x besseae = Eric Young, Eric Young x besseae = Don Wimber, and Don Wimber x besseae = Rachel Kirk

All of the above hybrids are easy to find online and for sale.

Then, we have longifolium x schlimii = Sedenii (very old cross and pictures exist and some have this), Sedenii x schlimii = Cardinale (popular and available), BUT Cardinale x schlimii = Ada (later synonym Cardinal-Schlim), which is a very old cross and I can't find a link to this anywhere.

There must have been something wrong with Ada - ugly and didn't breed? Someone knows.

Quote from phragweb.com (Rob Zuiderwijk): http://www.phragweb.info/phragmiped...ic/display_infrageneric_hybrid.asp?phrag_id=6
"Comments : The R.H.S. Online Database gives as parents for this hybrid Cardinale x schlimii, and it is supposed to be registered by R.I. Measures in 1900. If that's so then this Phrag. Ada is a synonym for Phrag. Cardinal-Schlim which is also registered by R.I. Measures in 1900."

Unfortunately, no photos of either one. :sob:

I am thinking that maybe Ada/Cardinal-Schlim looked so much like schlimii (or maybe worse?) that people figured it wasn't worth the bother.

I just bought a Cardinale 'Birchwood' division at Orchids Limited two days ago which got me looking at schlimii breeding. OL has never had an Ada listed and I have never seen one there, but I sent an email to them asking about Ada a well. Just because something was made in 1900 doesn't have to mean it is a great antique. However, sometimes something nice gets forgotten.

Back