Phrag ‘China Dragon’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitfox

Reaction score
One of the prizes from my last adventure into the Woodstream jungle. Two blooms, one spike-for maybe a day or two! Wasn’t familiar with this hybrid, but it looks like it takes the “climbing” habit from mama besseae.

93325F52-E1F0-423A-9D48-F16A2DF0CD85.jpegA316DB06-0305-4398-872A-D089A27F75C9.jpegD3D79FD6-A2F2-4654-8143-C8807E33F9A2.jpeg

I have an ancient besseae that I purchased from a Mr. Kovach at Southwind Orchids back in the 90’s. It is a true vine! If I would stop dividing it, I think I could wallpaper my home in living green!

THE Mr. James Michael Kovach?

Yes, and I have such fond memories of meeting him. His greenhouse was in a remote part of the Virginia countryside, and it felt a little like an expedition just locating it.

I visited twice (well before that beautiful purplish-pink beast) and I liken him to another couple of botany adventurers I have been fortunate enough to meet, Dan Hinkley and Tony Avent. Just like those two, he found his love, and I am sure none of the trio have any regrets. IMHO, Michael was just about a decade off in his timing. I certainly could have listened to him for hours, even back then in the 90s. Now, I am sure I could listen for days!

No hackles have been raised, I hope!

Yes, and I have such fond memories of meeting him. His greenhouse was in a remote part of the Virginia countryside, and it felt a little like an expedition just locating it.

I visited twice (well before that beautiful purplish-pink beast) and I liken him to another couple of botany adventurers I have been fortunate enough to meet, Dan Hinkley and Tony Avent. Just like those two, he found his love, and I am sure none of the trio have any regrets. IMHO, Michael was just about a decade off in his timing. I certainly could have listened to him for hours, even back then in the 90s. Now, I am sure I could listen for days!

No, of course no hackles. I think it's kind of cool.

I love eccentric and controversial figures in the orchid world... they bring a spicy taste to the proper orchid regulations, worthy of lengthy conversations with some tea and biscuits.

Southwind wasn’t terribly far from you, abax, I wonder if he is still there? A google search shows it is still in Goldvein, VA. Dr. Goldner at Woodstream talked like he was still around, but the conversation drifted off to kovachii nomenclature and provenance, and I didn’t try to steer it back.

As I said above, he is a fascinating gentleman with that seemingly rare ability to sit down and engage with you as if he had nothing else to do. Memorable. And exceedingly rare these days.

Back