Photos of malipoense vs. jackii leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a difference between the leaves. And I always thought they looked exactly alike, the flowers at least, now I have been proven wrong. Thank you!

It's interesting, I don't even think the flowers look alike. The patterns, shape and 'hairiness' of the jackii seems distinct ot my eye. :confused:

Can help to advise? is this malipoense or malipoense var jackii
1) & 2) are the same plant.
Leaf & leaf 2 are leaf of 1)
3) malipoense ?

i am quite new to this, and i dun know how tell the different..... this is my first parvis.

Attachments

• DSC00968.JPG
    DSC00968.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00969 1.JPG
    DSC00969 1.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00973.JPG
    DSC00973.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 26
  • leaf.JPG
    leaf.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 19
  • leaf 2.JPG
    leaf 2.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 16
Can help to advise? is this malipoense or malipoense var jackii
1) & 2) are the same plant.
Leaf & leaf 2 are leaf of 1)
3) malipoense ?

i am quite new to this, and i dun know how tell the different..... this is my first parvis.

Sangii maybe able to tell you better but my guess is:
photo 1- jackii (I could not figure out how the leaves of photo 2 of the same plant is so dark green. As if it is a different plant)
photo 3-seem to be delenatii or something else (or a different variety of the malipoense/jackii family)
photo 4,5 seems to indicate jacki.

Try to buy plants with tags on next time (althought is is no guarantee of the plant is true to the tag) at least you can hope for what it says the plant is

Eric, if a nursery here import a flask of malipoense from Taiwan, and got the wrong flask, says Jackii, or Jackii alba. They flower it out , realize it is not malipoense. Should they throw these plants out, or should they then sibling these plants, and sell the next generation at the shows.
I would assume that is how jackii are in the US. it bounds to happen, from the volume of import by the US nurseries.
Case in point, didn't Matt get the wrong dellenatii from a flasker recently (he supposes to get alba, while they sent him normal delenatii)
Second example, I bought two plants from California (Name withold, because I do not want to say bad thing about sellers) that is supposed to be hangianum x rothschildianum, but their leaves look like Mem. Larry Heuer (remember that post that I got help from other members to determine what these plants are) I would assume the flask supplier being sloppy while doing the seed sowing. Not intention of the California nursery, nor the oversea breeder to deceive the buyers.
The third example I can think of is phrag fischerii was discovered from blooming out a batch of plants that supposed to be schlimii (Jerry or Jason maybe able to correct me, if I was wrong on this information)
So plants (that theorically not supposed to be available here) maybe found in the US without intentionaly importation as such.

Hien, we all know that there are jackii, hangianum, etc that are in the US of A. However, the chance that a random grower would get a jackii w/out seekiing it, on eBay or otherwise is unlikely. I would not pretend to want to tell vendors what to do but I know people have even gotten jackii hybrids off eBay here [but they're still illegal until approved].

Wait a minute, I think photo no.1 shows the beginning of a spike.
So we maybe able to have a flower picture soon enough for correct I.D.
Don't blast the bud, Shaw.

GOOD EYES HIEN! I do believe you're right!

Hien it just did

i must reshoot the image to show you the paph plant & leaf again. Its very confusing to have these paph.......
They are not from Taiwan nor are they from flask. its bought from ........ its actually an illegal paph. it come in a bundle of 20 malipoense.

i am not proud of it.

Hien it just did

i must reshoot the image to show you the paph plant & leaf again. Its very confusing to have these paph.......
They are not from Taiwan nor are they from flask. its bought from ........ its actually an illegal paph. it come in a bundle of 20 malipoense.

i am not proud of it.

This is the way I see this:
-If you bought the plants that came from artificially bred for couples generations, chances are the genetic of the plants are already in circulation & also grow by others. It was not too much pressure for you to keep it alive.
-If you have plants that wild collected, I would say you should try your best to take care of them & keep them alive, may be selfing or cross the ones that look very different to preserve their genes. Try to share the result seedlings with as many peoples as you can to ensure that they don't die out.
-I would think that artificially bred plants are superior (because the nurseries already select the most vigorous & with best features to breed )
-wild collected plants are probably harder to raise, with unpredictable flower quality (although you may end up with a new variety,with that comes the responsibility to keep it alive & multiply it)

Last edited:
NY ERIC
its very remote to think that i had some thing new........LOL

Hien
Here the image i just reshoot it again, hope you could advise me
thanks

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
Hien
Here the image i just reshoot it again, hope you could advise me
thanks

I would agree with Eric that the photos show jackii.
(At the very least, we can say that it is not a malipoense, malipoense will have raised veines on the top of the leaf)

Latest posts

Back