Photos from China

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
My colleague, Ted Elliman, took these photos. Here's what he had to say:

Here are the images of several orchids in Yunnan. Pictures were taken in the Jade Dragon Mountains (Cypripediums) and Azure Mountains (Pleione), blooming in May, at the onset of the summer monsoon, elevations about 9000'-10,000'. The Cypripediums were in a huge subalpine meadow grazed by yaks; the Pleione (that's Primula forrestii in the background) at the base of a rock wall. The C. margaritaceum is bizarre!

He's right, the margaritaeum IS bizarre isn't it??

cmagcn6.png

I'll have to get the other photo up from home tonight. For some reason I cannot get the other one uploaded.

The margaritaeum IS bizarre, a beautiful bizarre!!! The picture looks like a painting of the margaritaeum was transposed on a photo.

I am extremely jealous of Ted Elliman.

You could go next time...:poke:

BACKROADS CHINA April 18–May 7, 2008
Nestled in southwestern China is the most scenic and culturally rich area of the country—Yunnan Province. Yunnan’s flora and landscapes are both diverse and spectacular, and scientists believe the world’s azaleas evolved here. Ted Elliman, New England Wild Flower Society’s Vegetation Management Coordinator, is our guide through this magical land, coinciding with peak spring bloom. Ted has two decades of experience in southwestern China, and led our first China trip in 2002.

Despite rapid modernization, Yunnan still possesses delightful backroads and fascinating cultures to discover, including the part of the Tibetan Plateau now known as “Shangri-La.” The trip will take us from remote Himalayan border regions to tropical sites like Elephant Valley and the Tropical Botanical Garden at Xishuanbanna.

Trip fee is $3,845 plus air fare. A trip extension to Angkor Wat in Cambodia is also available. Please contact the Registrar at 508-877-7630, ext. 3303, for a brochure with full details and itinerary, or call Betchart Expeditions, Inc. at 800-252-4910.

* NOTE: To view Acrobat files, you will need to have installed the free Adobe Acrobat reader which can be downloaded at the Adobe site. CLICK HERE to visit Adobe download page. If you have any difficulty downloading this document, please contact [email protected]

Whew! That's a lot of orchids!:drool:

Not really, it is just a little bit more than twice the amount of my dying kovachii flasks' price.
Instead of travelling, I am nursing those darn dying seedlings.:(
I guess you always learn your lessons the hard way in life.:eek:

Last edited:
In india and himalayas the pleones grow in big bunches.
Ha! I got my copy of AOS Orchids magazine today! It has the second part of the Cyps form China article and the Glen Decker article on Pk and its' hybrids. He is so gonna get a call from me! :)

That is the most amazing orchid I think I've ever seen. What a terrific plant!!! Just freakish.

Orchids never cease to amaze me.

Back