Philippinensis won't bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do keep them quite warm, around 28C, so it's over 80F. It it not so humid though.

Also they don't have a huge difference between the temperature at day and at night, so not sure if this could be another factor.

I've been told by a few growers that paph phil will flower often if grown in warm conditions, I've also seen a plant with only one small fan flowering (from the guy that told me they liked warmth)

I do keep them quite warm, around 28C, so it's over 80F. It it not so humid though.

Also they don't have a huge difference between the temperature at day and at night, so not sure if this could be another factor.

What other plants do you grow and how are they doing?
I'm wondering because without enough diurnal temperature difference, plants can suffer in the long run.
Lower night temperature is needed for proper transition of sugar into complex carb that plants store and use for other purposes.

If your other plants are doing well, then maybe it is not so much of a concern. Then, again, you might have enough day/night temp difference because apparently it has been growing so well.

Good point happypaphy I've been told that by alot of other growers, 10 - 15 day and night temp. Change

I just had a caudatum blooming and it's located at the same place. I have a vanda and oncidium blooming right now and they are located in my living room with AC so they are at constant 22C day and night for weeks.

All my phalenopsis are blooming or just finish now and I have 2 paph Hsinying x Paph. Hsinying Majakun that are blooming also.

All these plants are located in front of a south-west window.

The place where I keep my philippinensis is warmer during the day because there is no AC in that room so that I can keep it warmer. I will try dropping the temperature by letting the AC in a bit more at night to see if it help.

thanks!

What other plants do you grow and how are they doing?
I'm wondering because without enough diurnal temperature difference, plants can suffer in the long run.
Lower night temperature is needed for proper transition of sugar into complex carb that plants store and use for other purposes.

If your other plants are doing well, then maybe it is not so much of a concern. Then, again, you might have enough day/night temp difference because apparently it has been growing so well.

Also it is very hard to find this type of orchids here and if I would manage to find one, it would be out of my budget. In the USA, you would probably find one for 15$ at the Home Depot but not here.

Daniella, my two cents...I understand you want to keep your plant because you love challenge. I love challenges too, so many of my Paphs take more than a few years to bloom. Some seem to bloom only once every 10 years (one of my 2 Delrosi). In fact, most of my babies are so "young" they didn't bloom yet... Many mature plants bloom every year, some only do it every 2 years... Waiting a few years often can result in a very nice first blooming plants, with several flowering stalks.

But if you want to get another plant, they are not that difficult to find in Canada.You can get it from Forestview http://www.fvgardens.com/#!paphiopedilum-species/catr

(27 $. Often come at the Orchifete). And I bought one from Paramount many years ago (and it died....:( I was not a very good Paph growers 10 years ago) I think Glen Decker has some album for sale too and he come to Mtl at least twice a year. And maybe Raymond Lussier has some in its greenhouse. Just ask.:poke:

I'll bet any one person, they don't bloom within a year.
$50.00 says both plants are duds. :)

I'm good for it, and everybody knows it.

I have had a good share of phil. duds over the years. My last one I owned bloomed around early spring. It was a division of an awarded plant, and bloom on every new mature growth. Grown warm,moist,and bright. Its gone to a new owner now.

P. philippinense can be slow to get started on blooming. You have 5 growths & 2 new, so you are getting close, but don't give up even if it takes another 2 or 3 years. All of a sudden, it will "decide" its time. Once a plant is mature enough to start blooming, it should be fairly regular in its habit. Note how many growths and their size when it starts blooming. After than, when you repot, never divide the plant to a number of growths smaller than the number you had when it first bloomed. Some paphs like to be big clumps before they bloom.

I am not sure I would devide it, at least not until it would be a monster. I have dreamed of a huge philippinenses with many buds. I have seen a few like that and I plan on letting it grow as large as it wants to grow.

P. philippinense can be slow to get started on blooming. You have 5 growths & 2 new, so you are getting close, but don't give up even if it takes another 2 or 3 years. All of a sudden, it will "decide" its time. Once a plant is mature enough to start blooming, it should be fairly regular in its habit. Note how many growths and their size when it starts blooming. After than, when you repot, never divide the plant to a number of growths smaller than the number you had when it first bloomed. Some paphs like to be big clumps before they bloom.

Why not?! As long as you have space and can manage a big pot full of them. :)

It may one day shoot up a bunch of spikes.
I can't wait to see that sight!!!

Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back