Philippinense var.roebellini

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtwist

Crownrot Prince
Reaction score
Been waiting for this one to finish its petal lengthening before taking any pics, but as I noticed the first flower is starting to brown I guess its done.

Pleased with the flower count and general form, but wish those petals were longer and the petals darker (the white-background photo is more accurate to the colour, a shell pink more than plum. My Canon makes reds look richer than they are, esp. in the sun.)

Would be interested to know to what extent petal length, colour and form can change between flowerings. Can I expect the next to look much different, and is there a way to encourage darker flowers with longer petals? I've heard more watering/humidity does the latter, but I don't think I could have done much more of that for this one.

Chris

790ab850d1006c9525adaa7d2c3504a4.jpg

3b5367a568db84a011b5af9580fc9cdf.jpg

f0e82322b45bda772aad8327a7f5cc59.jpg

7f34db84bc304a7a8af6f61e46ce68d5.jpg

19c4ddbbcbb4a5294b06fb172263a406.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your philie looks be of the laevigatum type if there is such a thing. With that, extra long petals are not typical for this type.
I'll give up a trade secret which I have never mention here on the forum or anywhere else. Watering and high humidity are correct but not enough. Misting; as the buds develop I start misting the buds with a spray bottle. The weight of the water on the flowers and gravity doing its magic you get better elongation of the flower parts. Once the pouch is exposed avoid spraying in that area. Concentrate on the petals only. Use clean water such as rain or distilled to avoid minerals spotting up the flowers. I give them a good soaking so the water is dripping off=max weight. Twice a day works good for me and it always dries off without damage.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone. Amazing how much better you feel about your plants when others like them!

Your philie looks be of the laevigatum type if there is such a thing. With that, extra long petals are not typical for this type.
I'll give up a trade secret which I have never mention here on the forum or anywhere else. Watering and high humidity are correct but not enough. Misting; as the buds develop I start misting the buds with a spray bottle. The weight of the water on the flowers and gravity doing its magic you get better elongation of the flower parts. Once the pouch is exposed avoid spraying in that area. Concentrate on the petals only. Use clean water such as rain or distilled to avoid minerals spotting up the flowers. I give them a good soaking so the water is dripping off=max weight. Twice a day works good for me and it always dries off without damage.

Yes, it is shorter in the petals and more horizontal stance than I expected for a roebellini (assuming the labels right).
Thanks for that tip though! I will definitely try that next time around. I mist each morning, but not to that extent, as I grow mine as houseplants in the colder months and the air movement is not great. This flowered late, so maybe next time it will fall in summer and I can soak it to my hearts content!
Chris (UK)

Very interesting tips. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Here is a "Not so good" sandie I've been misting twice a day. You can see the water on the petals also, larger drops cling to the very top of the petals.f4536ce46729f007110b39ddf21dda7b.jpgc31f5d4a0cb767614f124e3df933daba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here is a "Not so good" sandie I've been misting twice a day. You can see the water on the petals also, larger drops cling to the very top of the petals.f4536ce46729f007110b39ddf21dda7b.jpgc31f5d4a0cb767614f124e3df933daba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It certainly makes logical sense to lengthen the petals. I imagine this constantly happens in the wild.
Do you do this with phrags too? I have a Grande in bud - perfect chance to experiment!

Back