Phili var.roebelini twin spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtwist

Crownrot Prince
Reaction score
Second flowering for me on this plant. Great to get the two spikes, but only three per this time (5 last time). The growths seemed in a hurry to bloom, being much smaller than the last one. Anyone know if this is just the way of it sometimes, or am I perhaps underfeeding the developing growths?
Thanks,
Chris
85da383fbd243c80ff0cfc1bed197988.jpg

cf42c0b51e8acc093a27a92ec63da2d9.jpg

b425ecf15e58d0886bc5d99a9eb4b9d8.jpg

a9a2c93a03d7b9b8d1c8ed409f95cc90.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it possible something in the growing conditions "forced" it to bloom early or prematurely? Has anything changed in your growing conditions or care routine since the last it bloomed? Perhaps it's been an unusually rainy and dreary year or particularly hot?

It is a variable and widespread species, so it doesn't surprise me to see variation in blooming season. However, I know my philly blooms in the spring and/or fall/winter as opposed to the middle of the summer. Plus, if you search the forum and look at the dates when most of our member photos are posted, it indicates that this time of year is a bit of a lull for P. philippinense bloomings in general. So maybe it just had an unusual out of season bloom session.

Just based on the leaves alone, I don't really see anything that immediately leads me to believe there are nutritional issues. How do the roots look and when was the last time it was repotted?

Is it possible something in the growing conditions "forced" it to bloom early or prematurely? Has anything changed in your growing conditions or care routine since the last it bloomed? Perhaps it's been an unusually rainy and dreary year or particularly hot?

It is a variable and widespread species, so it doesn't surprise me to see variation in blooming season. However, I know my philly blooms in the spring and/or fall/winter as opposed to the middle of the summer. Plus, if you search the forum and look at the dates when most of our member photos are posted, it indicates that this time of year is a bit of a lull for P. philippinense bloomings in general. So maybe it just had an unusual out of season bloom session.

Just based on the leaves alone, I don't really see anything that immediately leads me to believe there are nutritional issues. How do the roots look and when was the last time it was repotted?

Thanks for the reply.

It bloomed late summer last year, so yes this is a few months earlier this year. Repotted after last years blooming and roots are good. Like all my paphs, grows inside for the colder part of the year here in the UK, outside May-Sept (temps dependent).

It has been unusually sunny, hot and dry here this year, after a late, cold winter/spring. Perhaps its just that.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back