Philadelphia Flower Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s best to avoid purchases at the show.

A few years ago, I considered being a vendor, but the cheapest option was $4500 and you had to use union labor to set up. Not to mention that manning the booth nonstop for the duration is tough for a one-man show!

Ray Barkalow - Mobile

Lovely show with lots of creative expression. I liked the Japanese set up
best because it was simple and elegant. I'm so glad you didn't buy those
ugly blue mock-koi. The idea of using copper is very nice and copper ages
out beautifully.

It’s best to avoid purchases at the show.

A few years ago, I considered being a vendor, but the cheapest option was $4500 and you had to use union labor to set up. Not to mention that manning the booth nonstop for the duration is tough for a one-man show!

Ray Barkalow - Mobile

Almost 10 years ago, I was part of an organization that was supporting a big charity do in NYC- not orchid related. I came early to help out as things were being set up. At one point, the person heading up the volunteers asked a couple of us to move two step repeat banners on the red carpet runway at the entrance. She wanted us to move them about 6 feet in one direction to free up more space at the door.

We did as requested. A couple of the union setup guys saw us- and while they were very friendly about it, they explained that was union work and that we would have to pay for it. I agreed to pay the bill in order to avoid any trouble right before the big event. Bill was $1,200. It was considered a "special project" with a 2 hour minimum for a team- basically treated as a standalone job which of course has a minimum time/team fee.

I paid it- but yikes! Down here in Texas we are a right to work state, and I was not prepared for any of that.

Linus- thank you for the magnificent photographs. I really wish more orchid shows could have this general exhibition standard. Not necessarily the size and grandeur- but the creativity.

I also really liked the individual plant judging section. That is done in the African Violet societies down here, but I have never seen it at orchid shows. I imagine societies want to pressure people to put their plants into the general newcomer and society exhibits which is understandable, but after enough time on the show circuit one hears enough tales to be nervous about doing that on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back