Philadelphia flower show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some friends took my wife and I to the flower show yesterday (opening-day), and from an orchid perspective, it was fairly disappointing.

The competition bench was a single, tiered structure about 30 feet long. It contained a fair variety of plants, but few that I thought were really notable. There were a number of interesting species, and all were quite well grown, but with few exceptions – including a Dendrobium kingianum specimen to die for - there was little to write home about.

The relatively-few slippers were, in my opinion, disappointing. (Maybe I'm just jaded after visiting the slipper forum a couple of weeks ago.) There was one specimen paph (I don't recall the hybrid) with a large number of very nice blossoms, and there was one nice, if not huge Peruflora's Cirila Alka, but nothing else particularly impressive.

The Waldor display was quite nice – large, and consistent with the "Hawaii" theme, had a thatched hut onto which videos of hula dancers and the like were projected.

Orchid sales were limited – Just Pat, Parkside, and Waldor were the folks I saw. I'm not sure if there were others, but I don't think so.

All-in-all, I thing prior years were much better.

Waldor's display held our attention the longest, when we made the trip.
Sounds like this years display was equally pleasing.

Latest posts

Back