Phals doing good

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I've killed more mannii seedlings than this plant has flowers and buds, but this one continues to grow and rebloom second year in a row! I've been growing the fasciata since 2002, and it was in a pretty bad decline a few years ago. This is one of the highest density of blooms for this plant yet. It's still early in its season so this good be a really good year for this plant. Blooms last for weeks and smell like tangerines.

fasciata2012.jpg
Mannii2012.jpg

I like 'em. Ever since I was up there I've been wanting more mini-phals. I've been cruising on ebay for some. There's some mannii's on there but nothing like yours. Keep up the good work Rick, your plants are looking really nice.
Take Care

GH is never hot enough in the winter for mannii,so I gave up on it.Too bad it took me a couple of plants to figure that out.HAHAHA!

Hmmm -- my greenhouse is quite intermediate in the winter, and my mannii is doing OK.

Yes, compared to cornu-cervi I thought that mannii was a higher elevation and a somewhat cooler growing plant. I let my temps get into the 58 -61 range for night lows in the winter. How low are you going JTRMD?

Yes, compared to cornu-cervi I thought that mannii was a higher elevation and a somewhat cooler growing plant. I let my temps get into the 58 -61 range for night lows in the winter. How low are you going JTRMD?
Night temps are set to 55ºF. Where the Phals are may be a degree or two warmer.

Nice fasciata Rick. According to Christenson, mannii grows at 500 to 1400 m in India, Nepal, China etc so 55-60F should be fine.

Nice fasciata Rick. According to Christenson, mannii grows at 500 to 1400 m in India, Nepal, China etc so 55-60F should be fine.

Thanks.

Yes on the elevation. Some other references have cornu-cervi in many of the same countries but at sea level to 500m (so lower and a bit warmer than mannii).

This plant does have purple spotting at the base of the leaves and down the mid rib of the leaf as diagnostic for mannii (rather than cornu-cervi).

Really nicely marked fasciata. I have one blooming

now too, but it has so many keiki also blooming that the
mother plant doesn't look nearly so nice as your plant.
Do you redirect keiki back on to the mother mount? I
think I shoulda done that. No, wait, is that in a basket?

No its on a chunk of locust, and yes I've redirected some of the keikies back to the mount.

Actually the original mother growth is dead and gone. The biggest growth is a basal keiki. There are also another half dozen or so keikis out of the pic that have a few spikes too.

GH is never hot enough in the winter for mannii,so I gave up on it.Too bad it took me a couple of plants to figure that out.HAHAHA!

Mannii, we have it in Vietnam and China, it is not a hot growing phal in winter by far... It has very cold winters (down to 2-3 celsius, sometimes even freezing at -1 -2) in the wild, but very dry.

Mannii usually grows on the trees, the roots are soaked by the rain, then they dry pretty quickly. Close to mannii grows holcoglossum wangii, and sometimes even some ascocentrums.

Back