Phals and a Coelogyne

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
An assortment of hybrid Phals and a Coelogyne lawrenceana. The little white Phal is a miniature that I bought in bud....with three spikes. The Coel was also bought in bud. The other two Phals have been with me for over a year. (they are both named but I'm too lazy to go look)

Attachments

• orchids etc feb 18 2015 006.JPG
    orchids etc feb 18 2015 006.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 37
  • orchids etc feb 18 2015 010.JPG
    orchids etc feb 18 2015 010.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • orchids etc feb 18 2015 018.JPG
    orchids etc feb 18 2015 018.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 19
  • orchids etc feb 18 2015 020.JPG
    orchids etc feb 18 2015 020.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 17
Newbe here,

What is a hybrid orchid?

Thanks for your patience :))

Hey J,

There are living things, and they are either species or hybrids (generally. Both animals and plants. If you went out into the woods and found an ash tree growing, it is a species. Now, if you were able to make offspring from mixing an ash and a maple you'd have a hybrid (offspring from at least two different species or other hybrids).
Most orchids in the wild that you can see that look pretty different from each other are different species, but if you manually make offspring from a collection of different species you have a hybrid
There are a few natural hybrids, where different species are nearby and get pollinated with each other and make intermediate forms

Latest posts

Back