Phalaenopsis Zheng Min Wisteria ‘Free Ukraine’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... was not recognized by AOS today.
Why, oh, why? Would it have to be more floriferous to be considered awardable? You can't argue with the quality of the flowers/the cross IMHO.
Consider this no faint compliment coming from a former, staunch speciesist as yours truly! :)

PS. Personally, I tend to prefer the flowers of this cross a wee tidbit more than your Ph. Crystal Surprise - which was awarded?!

Last edited:
Why, oh, why? Would it have to be more floriferous to be considered awardable? You can't argue with the quality of the flowers/the cross IMHO.
Consider this no faint compliment coming from a former, staunch speciesist as yours truly! :)

PS. Personally, I tend to prefer the flowers of this cross a wee tidbit more than your Ph. Crystal Surprise - which was awarded?!
I agree Jens wholeheartedly! This flower is just shouting ‘Look at Me!’.

The reason they gave was not the number of flowers but rather that it needed fully rounder petals aka fuller form. This I think is true with novelties but since this parentage is 94% star shaped species, an allowance should be given to well shaped flowers with intense colors. If this was presented by Big Leaf orchid in Texas, it would have gathered an AM I think.

My next step is let my GH buddy grow it bigger and present again at judging next year with more flowers.

.... it needed fully rounder petals aka fuller form. This I think is true with novelties but since this parentage is 94% star shaped species, an allowance should be given to well shaped flowers with intense colors.
The thought of rounder petals didn't so much as cross my mind, as I saw so much bellina/violacea in it. By second thought, this might have been the reason, why this former self-avowed speciesist prefered it to your recently awarded Phal! 😁

Your GH plan for an improved result next time round sounds very reasonable. Keep up the endeavours for just tribute being paid to this beautifull clone!

Latest posts

Back