Phalaenopsis violacea and company

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
I want to take a picture to compare indigo and magenta Phal violacea. These two plants are in pots. Both came from Orchidview this year.

Phal_violacea_group_20110913a.JPG

Then I remembered this red violacea like flower Phal Pearl's Red Coral 'Peter Lin' that would be a good contrast. It's difficult to get the plants grouped together. So I pinch off the flower to make it easier for me.

Phal_violacea_group_20110913b.JPG

Then I added an indigo Phal Samera from Orchidview..then a flower of Phal equestris blue from Wan Chiao.

Phal_violacea_group_20110913.JPG

I added a regular Phal bellina to compare indigo Phal bellina. Phal Venimp is brought in for orange color.

Phal_violacea_group_20110913f.JPG

Phal Venimp (venosa x Malibu Imp). It's almost 8.0 cm NSV.

Phal_Venimp_20110913.JPG

Phal violacea 'Royalty' x 'Ken's Blue' - substance is very heavy.

Phal_violacea_N0154_20110913.JPG

Purchased as Phal violacea but has bellina in the background (because its sibling produced a bellina like flower).

Phal violacea/Samera
Phal_violacea_Samera_20110913.JPG

OMG!

I wish:

a) I had those plants
b) I could bloom plants that well
c) I could photograph plants that well

It's all a learning process, and I am enjoying learning it all!!

Thanks for posting...I am starting to collect phal species, and having fun doing so!

Amazing plants and colours, I wish I could get you to visit us in the UK and sell some plants!!! I have searched for Phal Venimp but can only find dark red flowers and no ORANGE. Is that a new cultivar? Which one? I want one......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. I am glad that you enjoy these flowers too.

I have searched for Phal Venimp but can only find dark red flowers and no ORANGE. Is that a new cultivar? Which one? I want one......

I have this Phal Venimp and its sister plants since 1998. I got a few seedlings from Hawaii and I was surprised by the flower size when I first flowered them. I still have 2 plants in my collection. The shape is no good per AOS judging standard because form is open. But I like them and keep them in my collection. Like most Phal venosa hybrid, the flower opens red and glossy like one of the parent Phal Malibu Imp. But over time the yellow background color of Phal venosa darken and transform color to more orange/bronze. In my experience AOS judging doesn't like color fading. I don't either if color is reduced say from yellow to pale yellow/white. In this case I don't mind the fading because it's interesting to see two colors from the same plant.

Unfortunately there could be a problem with ploidy because this plant will not breed. This plant does produce keiki freely.

Here is an old picture from around 2003.

Phal_Venimp_4998.jpg

Latest posts

Back