Phalaenopsis schilleriana and a unknown hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've grown my Phal schilleriana now for about 15 years or so. I think since 2005 but unfotunately I lost (or can't find) my records. Anyway, she's been a reliable bloomer during all these years but this year she grew for the very first time a flower spike with side branches.

08309_22.01.15_phal schilleriana.jpg

08312_22.01.15_phal schilleriana.jpg

08317_22.01.15_phal schilleriana.jpg

I saved this hybrid for less than a bargain from the garbage table of a do-it-yourself-store about at the same time I bought my Phal. schilleriana. I don't know its name or the cross.....but what I know....I like it.

08322_22.01.15_phal hybrid.jpg

08323_22.01.15_phal hybrid.jpg

I have three schilleriana in bloom and one hybrid with patterned leaves. All are very fragrant!
😍
Your NOID looks to have schilleriana as a parent or grandparent since it has those patterned leaves. Is it fragrant?
I just made a cross using one of my dark pink schilleriana and an eqeustris heavy hybrid. It will make something similar to your NOID in my expectation. Will find out in just short few years! :)

I have three schilleriana in bloom and one hybrid with patterned leaves. All are very fragrant!
😍
Your NOID looks to have schilleriana as a parent or grandparent since it has those patterned leaves. Is it fragrant? ...
HP7, the schilleriana is very fragrant with a fresh scent....but the NOID shows no signs of fragrant.
The patterns in the leaves could also come e.g. from P. stuartiana and Doritis pulcherrima ??

HP7, the schilleriana is very fragrant with a fresh scent....but the NOID shows no signs of fragrant.
The patterns in the leaves could also come e.g. from P. stuartiana and Doritis pulcherrima ??
True, but I don't think pulcherrima is in its direct parentage based on the flower morphology.
Stuartiana is most likely in the distant parentage like two generations back or as a very early ancestor as Cassandra (stuartiana x equestris) has been widely used for this type of hybrids.
Speaking of which, I have one in bloom and might cross it with one of my equestris hybrids. Or wait until my equestris comes into bloom when it is warmer. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back