Phalaenopsis lobbii vietnamensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow 100s of these - great fun plants!

Other than coming from Vietnam, what make this vietnamensis? The yellow side lobes of the lip make it look like a Phal. lobbii var. flava.

Other than coming from Vietnam, what make this vietnamensis? The yellow side lobes of the lip make it look like a Phal. lobbii var. flava.
Vietnamensis have much longer spikes, a rounder flower and indeed come from Vietnam :), it is described as variety i think, anyway difference are evident if you have both side by side (Normal lobbii either flava, flavilabia or typical Wil never have such spikes especially in young plants) especially spikes, will post this one when all flowers open

FWIW - here's a 'regular' Phal. lobbii var. flava:

i-cKtvCQg.jpg

Great flowers, both of you! But suppose the prize for culture goes to RB.

Although, one could say, that the pic, above, runs pretty close to willfully upstaging the host of the thread! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_123544.jpg
    IMG_20200419_123544.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 5
Do you see the difference now? You grow 100`s but it seems you don't know this one...mature plants have really long spikes even if I think is already more than visible on young plants, young normal lobbii have short spikes as you know, also flowers have a rounder form than normal lobbii, i also grow 100s and have all variations of the species and again side by side vietnamensis is different.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_123531.jpg
    IMG_20200419_123531.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you for the last pic, Phaladd. It clearly makes the point in regard to the longishness of the inflorecens of the vietnamese variety - as does a comparison of the flower close-up of your plant and the flowers of RB''s plant in regard to the difference in form, that you describe: the tepals of your flower being clearly rounder and seemingly somewhat broader than RB's.

Thank you both for your illuminating contribution!

Latest posts

Back