Phalaenopsis kunstleri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 13 y.o. son often airs the opinion, that orchids are way overrated and not really interesting. He never the less has taken some fancy to "cute, smaller orchids". Last time we visited Hans Christiansen in Fredensborg, junior acquired this nice Phalaenopsis kunstleri, that is now gracing his room with a couple of flowers:
20220618_133938.jpg
The other flower:20220618_135817.jpg
Plant and flowers in toto: 20220618_133744.jpg

Last edited:
I also started with phal species and ended up with the paphs now!
I would call it fuscata btw.

I would call it fuscata btw.
Because of the column...or any other characteristica?
It seems not to be the easiest task to distinguish between fuscata and kunstleri - I probably better carefully consult Christenson before I go against my friend, Hans, with his 50+ years experience as professional nursery owner and 30 or somewhat more years as orchid judge!

Because of the column...or any other characteristica?
It seems not to be the easiest task to distinguish between fuscata and kunstleri - I probably better carefully consult Christenson before I go against my friend, Hans, with his 50+ years experience as professional nursery owner and 30 or somewhat more years as orchid judge!
I know how christenson distinguishes the two species. But for me to seperate a species just of minimal differences in the column makes no scense. I saw many many fuscatas and so called kunstleris, wild sourced and propagated. There were different column structure within one batch. So for me this isnt a reason anymore to seperate them.
There are plants around which look really different, but i saw them not often and nowadays i cant find them anymore. For me they could be the true kunstleri or something not described yet.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/epicphals/3QQG17These are just my thoughts and my Point of view which are different from the official describtions.

I know how christenson distinguishes the two species. But for me to seperate a species just of minimal differences in the column makes no scense. I saw many many fuscatas and so called kunstleris, wild sourced and propagated. There were different column structure within one batch. So for me this isnt a reason anymore to seperate them.
There are plants around which look really different, but i saw them not often and nowadays i cant find them anymore. For me they could be the true kunstleri or something not described yet.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/epicphals/3QQG17These are just my thoughts and my Point of view which are different from the official describtions.
Your input much appreciated, Martin - and very illuminating photo link!

Latest posts

Back