Phalaenopsis cochlearis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a phal cochlearis species that I got from Main Street mike last year or so. It is mounted. I saw it during a visit to his greenhouse. We agreed to try and set some seed before I claimed it, but the pods didn’t take.

Mike grows things very well there. Lots of air movement so decent drying and lots of resulting Watering. I have had mounted plants dry out too much so wasn’t sure how to keep it happy in an apartment. A while ago I’d seen in a magazine a phal lindenii mounted in a big clay pot with rotted media in the bottom. If read that cochlearis in nature has long rambling roots that probably find moist places to direct that keep it happy. The lindenii in article was an award winner, basically growing on side of clay but the roots finding their happy spot, which ended up being wet media.
I decided to put the bark mounted cochlearis in a plastic bag (roots only) set in a tray to keep upright and keep water in the bottom of the bag, and occasionally sprinkle the mount top to keep from drying completely. A few data ago I peeked and saw tons of new buds on the plant! A few have yellowed off because I had not watered soon enough but buds are popping from everywhere. :D I can take closer pics later

Attachments

• FBADEBDC-3D76-492E-AB8A-2CB2BE1BE4C5.jpeg
    FBADEBDC-3D76-492E-AB8A-2CB2BE1BE4C5.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 44
I like this species. It looks like you've figured out what it likes. I've read and heard that they can be tricky which is one reason I've not purchased one for myself. I'd rather not kill such a beautiful species.

Yes they can be tricky, but if it’s always moist and always 70+ and very even moderate temps year round, then it can do well. I think for someone with a warm home same temps all the time may do well

My last one i just dried it out too many times:(

Lovely Charles. I grow mine in a wooden basket
with very loose sphag. and it seems quite happy.
The basket allows the roots to roam wherever
it wants to and it seems to like that.

:( you know how they say ‘there’s always something..,’? Well I had watered the plant/bag holding water last week because I saw some buds falling off. I hadn’t looked really closely until Thursday and then saw a whole lot of buds falling off :eek: I figured that the dehumidifier I have running in the kitchen dried the air out so much in the living room the humidity was too low and though roots were wet it was blasting (sigh). I only have air conditioner in bedroom, I’m often at work and not using rest of apt so don’t cool it. I took the plant and hung it by open bathroom window and keep that door shut. There are still green buds so hopefully have more flowers. Initially there would have been closer to 35+ buds!

Back