Phal. violacea var. alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

bellina1.jpg

bellina2.jpg

The flower is smaller than I thought it would be, about the size of a half dollar. I think it is lightly scented, but my nose could be playing tricks on me.

Very nice. But I think it should be violacea alba.
Is this from Norman's? The lot they are selling as bellina alba are probably all violacea alba.

Marcus, now that you mention it, it does look more like a violacea var alba. I hadn't realized, and yes, it is from Norman's. I am glad they had it labeled correctly :rolleyes:

Zach, the spike did kind of grow in funny. There is a huge leaf covering this flower, so I had to tip the plant up to photograph.

Nice flower! I like this species alot and thank god I got so many seedlings. My seedlings are still small and have a leafspan of 3-4 inches across. They are slow growers but I think I will repot them in a mixture of fine bark, perlite #4, sphagnum moss this year. They have nice leaves and lots of roots.

They were less than 1cm leafspan nearly two years ago in a jumbled flask that resembled chop suey.

Paphman910

PHRAG said:
Zach, the spike did kind of grow in funny. There is a huge leaf covering this flower, so I had to tip the plant up to photograph.
That seems to be very typical of violaceas and especially bellina. Although I have a violacea "Sumatra" that makes very tall spikes, and seems to bloom on them periodiacally forever.

Marco said:
whats they difference between a violacea and bellina?? they look they same to me

Until recently they were considered the same species.

Belina used to be called violacea var. borneo. However over time I guess it was decided that the color form and geography was distinct enough to warrant species status.

Belina is from Borneo, and the color form is fairly consistant in that the upper half of the flower is creamy white, while the lower half or so is magenta.

Violacea is more variable in color but usually solid colored. It is more widespread in Malaysia

SlipperFan said:
That seems to be very typical of violaceas and especially bellina. Although I have a violacea "Sumatra" that makes very tall spikes, and seems to bloom on them periodiacally forever.

I would have thought that tall spikes was more indicative of violacea var. Mentawai...

couscous74 said:
I would have thought that tall spikes was more indicative of violacea var. Mentawai...

Potted belinas, and many violaceas are notorious for having flowers under the leaves, but when mounted they grow down the mount and the spikes crawl over the top of the plant, presenting the flowers just on top of the leaves.

couscous74 said:
Hmmm, I'll have to look into this. That's the name on the tag, but we all know how that goes...

There is a discussion on Peter Lin's forum (which is where horses_too saw a reference to us, WELCOME!!!)... Anyhow, I showed your photos (John) since the discussion started with viol. alba from Norman's.

The general consensus was that it is in fact viol alba. Here is a message from Dean Stock about it:

"I believe that I agree that the first two photos are violacea and the second two are probably bellina."

(The "first two" refer to your photos John). By the way, I hope you don't mind that i showed them there!

Lien

Latest posts

Back