Phal Sogo Grape equals ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help. I should have at least remembered the Super Stupid parent. The reason I asked was I just had an order of 26 of them come in today. A different cross was advertised and then they sent me Sogo Grape. Had I know they were going to send Sogo Grape I most likely wouldn't have bought them. The cost was cheap enough not to worry about it. I did however contact the seller to at least let him know that I knew I didn't get what I paid for. They sort of said sorry but didn't offer a refund. I wouldn't have sent them back anyways as they are large n.b. clones and as I said earlier were fairly priced. Come to think of it, they were advertised as blooming size which they are not. What this taught me is to not use this vendor again.

Ernie is was someone out your way. E.F.G. Orchids. The first tip off should have been that he or she advertised a group of 25 for 3.99 each on E-bay. Then when I contacted them direct in order to see if I could also get an example plant, they offered them to me at $5 each. Then when I mentioned the 3.99 price they said yea, I can do $4 each for a group of 25. When I asked the actual name and clone they said they didn't know but new for a fact they were clones. The photos that they should were a true red not a Sogo Grape color. Also the cross they advertised was not Sogo Grape. That I knew for a fact. Well almost a fact, I had to check on this forum to confirm.

Oh well, I learned not to deal with them again.

They had Sogo Grape 'Fireball' at WOC. Not the nice, full form as 'Y.N.' AM/AOS, but still has the crazy awesome color. Shoot, for that price...

-Ernie

Ernie, they arrived without a clonal name. When I contacted them and to let them know that they had not pulled the wool over my eyes and indeed I know I didn't receive what I paid for, thats when they gave me the clonal name of 'Fireball'. Also your correct, for that price I still didn't do badly.

The Luchia cross you mention isn't registered. I'd guess it'd be a standard pink though??? Maybe a white with blush? Lots of schilleriana, amabalis, rimstediana, etc... the building block standard Phal species. Sogo grape has spectacular leaves- thick and light green with very round edges, no anthycyanin to speak of. I'd expect Luchia X to have some red in the leaves and possibly a darker shade of green???

-Ernie

I used to have a Sogo Grape in my collection years ago when I had Phal hybrids. It was a fairly nice Phal as I remember, branched inflorescense of smaller grape-colored flowers

Bob do you know how to use the RHS parentage search?

Brother Grape is the multifloral grape with smaller flowers. Substance isn't quite there with the Brother Grape compared to Sogo Grape although BG can be darn thick and waxy too still doesn't compare IMO. Sogo Grape has larger flowers and the spike sometimes acts like violacea and friends in that it continues to spit out flowers, but with much greater distance between them (no chain effect). I'm sure Sogo Grape would branch on a happy plant, but Sogo Grape branches freely even on young plants.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back