Phal schilleriana 2008

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Not the highest bud count, but one of the better shows over the past few years. I counted about 75 buds, and its still branching. Peak fragrance is early morning, but pretty much done by noon.

Even if those leaves do not seem to belong to the lovely flowers, this must be a great show! Congratulations to the grower! Jean

Even if those leaves do not seem to belong to the lovely flowers, this must be a great show! Congratulations to the grower! Jean

You are right that those are not schilleriana leaves. There is a keiki in there with two spikes on it, but the big leaves belong to a Gongora. The mother plant is on the other side of the isle. The spikes are 3' long so it is hard to get it all in one shot.

This year the spikes are shorter with more branching, so the flowers are grouped better than previous years.

This is also the first blooming since I installed the wet pad. Schilli flowers do not have good substance compared to other species, but with this form of humidification the flowers are stronger and more fragrant than previous years.

Thanks All. I got the plant at the Santa Barbara (CA) orchid festival in 2002 as a NBS plant. I mounted it on a piece of locust wood, and its really gone to town over the years. The flowers don't have the best form for the species, but it does produce a good show.

Latest posts

Back