Phal. philippinensis 'Kirby'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far the mount is only about a foot long, and the plant hasn't started any basal keikies yet.

I've started mounting some plants on 4' - 5' verticle hanging, Northern White Cedar, or Maple logs with a diameter of up to 5". One Cattleya porphyroglossa is mounted on a bundle of 2 thin, Cedar branches. Plants mounted with so much room send roots running up and down the entire length and grow VERY well. Many still send out aerial roots dangling a couple feet more below the mount. I think in some cases, containing a plant in a pot seriously limits the size and potential volume of flowers it produces.

Did you know that if you allow Phal. schilleriana, stuartiana or philippinensis to send out "scout" roots (that stick to a wall or bench and travel up to 8' or 10' from the plant), they will produce keikies along the root if it is severed from the mother plant? I've seen it happen with a plant who's roots rambled out of the pot and all over a large wooden bench. The plant was eventually removed; but, the roots remained behind, attached to the wooden bench and they eventually produced a few keikies.

I've had some roots in the 2-3ft range and going aerial, but never had keikies develop on them.

Pretty crazy.

I have a stuartiana that is getting close to blooming. 4 spikes, and one with several branches. It should be quite a show. I think that mount is about 2 ft tall by 1" wide (curved) and its almost covered in roots that are sticking out from the mount in all directions.

I showed it last year with ~ 50 flowers on it, and found out the the CCE's for this species are somewhere around 400 flowers!

I've had some roots in the 2-3ft range and going aerial, but never had keikies develop on them. I had read that these really long scout roots will make keikies. However, that was only if they are cut from the mother plant; but, allowed to otherwise remain untouched. Separating the root from the mother plant was supposed to be critical to the spontaneous development of any keikies. That's why I removed the mother plant from the bench....to cut the roots and let them remain and see if they'd keiki. I only got a couple keikies; but, it was a cool way to propagate the plant. I guess there's meristematic tissue in the roots which would normally just give rise to a branch in the root; but, when faced with becoming a long, green, healthy root with no plant attached, it will grow it's own new plant!

Pretty crazy.

I have a stuartiana that is getting close to blooming. 4 spikes, and one with several branches. It should be quite a show. I think that mount is about 2 ft tall by 1" wide (curved) and its almost covered in roots that are sticking out from the mount in all directions.

I showed it last year with ~ 50 flowers on it, and found out the the CCE's for this species are somewhere around 400 flowers! I bet those plants had ENORMOUS root masses!

Last edited:
Wow, I sure don't have the growing space for a plant to get that big...how do you think mine will fare in a pot?

Wow, I sure don't have the growing space for a plant to get that big...how do you think mine will fare in a pot?

Most growers keep their phales in pots and do just fine. You never realize the potential for some of these plants to turn into 'bushes' until you mount them up though.

I think this is my favourite Phal species. I have tried and tried to get this plant to self, with no luck. :(

I'm looking for pollen from another nice clone to put on this. Please PM me if you have a plant in bloom and can spare some pollen.
23903.jpg

Wow I just noticed this, :drool:Beautiful!! I like your nice clean pots

That's right. Thanks Rick. As I've often done, I tried again. This time the selfings took!

Thanks for the offer of pollen; but, now, it's not needed. 'Hope your plant did well in the show!

I had a look at your link. I'd forgotten about that. I'm glad that you were able to get it's correct name sorted out. A nice plant like that needs the correct name!

John, did you get pollen? Mine is in full bloom, and is in the Michigan Orchid Show this weekend. Last year it got a trophy for the best in class -- don't know what it's doing this year. I'll know tomorrow.

You ID'd it last year. The tag that came with the plant said it was a natural hybrid:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20547&highlight=Philippinensis

:clap::clap::clap:

Where's the pic Dot?
It looks pretty much the same as the last time I posted, only with a few more flowers. I didn't take one this time -- it wasn't quite fully open when I sent the plant off, and at the end of the show, I gave away some flowers to Russ Vernon to use the pollen from.

Latest posts

Back