phal parishii plus..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my phal parishii has been doing much better lately even though some d*(^$ mealybugs have been assaulting it lately. I had to dab some alcohol on the stems/flowers before I took these pics and unfortunately I could see a few still on them when I adjusted the pics. despite that, this was by far the best showing of flowers and spike since I've owned this plant. usually there might be a flower or two, but this time there were three flower spikes though two mostly damaged by hidden bugs, and the front third one which has several flowers on it. believe it or not, I think what has helped was my sticking it into a very dark, shady spot. also a few treatments with epsom salts I think has helped as well. I was recently talking with the private vendor who sold me some excellent phal lowiis, and he mentioned that several of his buyers complained about their killing their lowiis and parishiis; he told them that often people will overwater them and that they only need two to three waterings a week, for mounted plants in his greenhouse. I have noticed that this plant has almost always a few days between when I remember to water it tucked up in the corner of my plant cart, and it seems to suit it just fine. these flowers do have a fragrance when it is brighter; I've read that it resembles cherry cola, which I guess is as close to anything I could determine with my often stuffed sinuses this time of year!

pparishii510a.JPG

whole plant view, mounted on firm tree fern fiber. wasn't doing well at one time a few years back but then I soaked it in very clean water to remove salts and all from the mount. after that, it became very happy

pparishii510b.JPG

pparishii510c.JPG

pparishii510d.JPG

pparishii510e.JPG

my phal venosa has a few more flowers and I wanted to reward the plant by posting the pics! there are three flowers on one of the spikes, which doesn't happen often. the first flower is starting to fade but you can't really tell in the photo. now that it's warmer outside, the fragrance is a little nicer

pvenosa510a.JPG

pvenosa510b.JPG

Your excellent pics of parishii almost make me want one...almost.

WOnderful! I'd love to get a phal parisgii... Is the lobbii like parishii in growing conditions and size? TY

Mealies suck suck suck (literally!) :p but your Phals are lovely :)
Methinks meneeds parishii.

Now go poke another mealie in the eye already! :poke:

very cool pics of 2 great plants!!! parishii is one of my fav phals but I cannot keep them alive:eek:! Jean

well, the guy who grows lowiis says that those that he knows of that kill them are watering them too much. they like warm, but only need two to three waterings a week, mounted. jean, I think you have good conditions, just that you would need to put it in a very shady spot in your greenhouse. I put this one in a very shady spot in my grow cart, so that's really quite dark

WOnderful! I'd love to get a phal parisgii... Is the lobbii like parishii in growing conditions and size? TY

during the summer, the two have similar culture, and they are both the same size. I've read that lobbii likes to get cooler in the winter. also I think lobbii can be watered a lot more in summer when it's the growing season. so think large temperature swing in winter, like in a harsh greenhouse (or regular greenhouse for that matter). I haven't had large luck with them because of this growing them under lights

Mealies suck suck suck (literally!) :p but your Phals are lovely :)
Methinks meneeds parishii.

Now go poke another mealie in the eye already! :poke:

thanks! .... and you betcha - I'm readying another q-tip with high-test rubbing alcohol. the first two flower spikes were mostly zipped by the bugs that were hidden behind the plant; luckily I caught on to the ones on the front. fat little bastards, they are :mad: . they're moving over to my phal lindeniis right about now, and they are spiking. I think I'll have to put double-sided tape on the flower spikes to keep them from crawling out and wreaking havoc (sort of like putting tanglefoot around the base of a tree to keep caterpillars from crawling up and defoliating a tree)

well, the guy who grows lowiis says that those that he knows of that kill them are watering them too much. they like warm, but only need two to three waterings a week, mounted. jean, I think you have good conditions, just that you would need to put it in a very shady spot in your greenhouse. I put this one in a very shady spot in my grow cart, so that's really quite dark during the summer, the two have similar culture, and they are both the same size. I've read that lobbii likes to get cooler in the winter. also I think lobbii can be watered a lot more in summer when it's the growing season. so think large temperature swing in winter, like in a harsh greenhouse (or regular greenhouse for that matter).

Thanks Charles!!! I killed both already, but I think I must give them one more try :) !!! Jean

Back