phal mariae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've tried to find a phal mariae for quite a while, and even tried buying imported plants from a philippino orchid nursery that's come to the redland orchid festival. I originally had a few from Rice's Orchids that used to be in Homer, NY. Of course, I killed them (sigh) along with many other amazing plants that I had the good fortune to at least see flower (I wish I knew something about growing orchids way back then... ). I may have one true mariae left from Rice's; I almost killed the plant a few years ago and it has slowly been regenerating and getting some size. I also had one or two others that were called 'deltonii' from rice's that turned out to be bastianii. One plant I thought was a mariae from Rice's turned out to be bastianii or a hybrid between mariae and bastianii (that was supposed to be an outcross between mariae's)

Last Fall, we had Duane Erdmann come to our society from Pa. and give a very interesting talk. During dinner afterwards we started talking about native orchids and he mentioned that he had visited Jim Rice back in the day (Jim was who had introduced me to native orchids way back in central ny); I asked if he had any plants that had come from rice's and especially any phal mariae, and he said that he had! Well, last month he sent me a box of very very nice plants, and most were either in bud or became so in a few weeks! The mariae had quite a few buds, but the shock of being shipped caused most of the buds to drop off. One stayed on so I'm taking a pic of it

pmariae1011a.JPG

mariae flowers hang downwards mostly, so I had to get underneath the plant to get this image

pmariae1011b.JPG

closeup of center of flower

pmariae1011c.JPG

shot showing dense trichomes on lip. often indicative of mariae instead of bastianii

pmariae1011d.JPG

whole plant; usually mariae has descending flower spikes, bastianii is upright more or less

Wonderful lip. The true mariae is fairly rare, isn't it?

well, sort of rare. it is around here and there at times, but people usually buy them up fairly quickly. and to add to the confusion, bastianii often gets labeled as mariae so that you think you have mariae (until it flowers and you find out that you don't (d'oh!). you can get flasks of phal mariae periodically from thailand. incidentally, for those very interested in phal lowii, that can also be had in flask from thailand

jim marlow had a huge plant of phal mariae that he got a while back from tecson orchids that was in our orchid show this fall
( http://cnyos.org/showpics ). I asked him for some flowers to pollinate this plant but I guess he got busy

Hi Charles

I hope the flask of mariae I sent you is as you hope.. My friend who provided the flask has mostly A-line plants

Brett

Back