Phal. equestris var coerulea culture...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several equestris and they are spiking now as they have for many years.
Where are you located?

I have 3 but i dont see any spikes yet :-( so im trying to find out what i can do....

Right now, my growing condition.

Indoors under t5 barrina lights
Relative humidity around 30-40%
temps 60f -70f

I've had blue equestris bloom Dec/Jan, Mar/Apr. (most heavily) and Jun-Aug. Warm all the time, very little temperature drop. My winter cold is 55 F (record cold for my area in Hawaii, most years in mid 60's) and highs of 95F. 50-70% rh year round. Grows best in NZ sphagnum until the ph drops then the roots rot. Bark (NZ pinus radiata) lasts for years, but less, smaller and lighter colored flowers and not as many double spikes or twice a year blooming.

Some of the blue equestris such as 'Blue' and 'Blue Taiwan' are hard to grow for me. They preferred a more porous media such as bark in my conditions. They eventually died.

Phal. equestris fma. cyanochilus that was made popular by Rob Shepard of Sapphire Dragon Orchids is much easier growing for me. It does well in both bark and moss with moss producing better flowering if I had kept on top of the repotting.

Randy, whatever happened to Rob Shepard? I bought some blue Phals. from him some time ago and tried to find
him again with no success. I have Purple Martin 'Champion', DTPS. Kenneth Schubert 'Fangtastic Violet' and Equalacea. All
my Phal. species grow and bloom well, however, Rob's plants grow very well, but are reluctant bloomers.

These are my phal equestris var coerulea ... they were in bloom when j got them back in september but the spikes dried out.

And was wondering when i can expect new spikes or how to induce it

Attachments

• A77F6F91-D6B7-4B72-B96D-604F75E5C7C3.jpeg
    A77F6F91-D6B7-4B72-B96D-604F75E5C7C3.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 7C6E10F0-30E3-4E73-9119-CF602B7BF20E.jpeg
    7C6E10F0-30E3-4E73-9119-CF602B7BF20E.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DA0BDFC0-000A-4781-8465-162ECA5784E5.jpeg
    DA0BDFC0-000A-4781-8465-162ECA5784E5.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 7
Randy, whatever happened to Rob Shepard? I bought some blue Phals. from him some time ago and tried to find
him again with no success. I have Purple Martin 'Champion', DTPS. Kenneth Schubert 'Fangtastic Violet' and Equalacea. All
my Phal. species grow and bloom well, however, Rob's plants grow very well, but are reluctant bloomers.
Rob Shepard's website: Home-SDO | Sapphire Dragon Orchids

These are my phal equestris var coerulea ... they were in bloom when j got them back in september but the spikes dried out.

And was wondering when i can expect new spikes or how to induce it
If you got it in spike in September, I'd expect it to rebloom around September. They certainly look large enough. I don't know how much light it's getting, perhaps a bit brighter? The leaves are nice, but quite green.

If you got it in spike in September, I'd expect it to rebloom around September. They certainly look large enough. I don't know how much light it's getting, perhaps a bit brighter? The leaves are nice, but quite green.
They are under 2 x 24 in t5 barrina lights around 12 in from top of foliage...
About this item

• Full Spectrum(White color) - Barrina T5 grow lights 2ft provide indoor plants with full-spectrum sunlight replacement. We provide the most reasonable grow light wave based on the ratio of the absorption of the plant
  • Super Bright and Hight PPFD- Consuming only 80W with 400 LEDS totally, replace 500w general plant lights. Over 95% light energy can be absorbed by plants. It is a great option for plants that in seedling, vegetative and flowering cycle

I'm sorry, but I don't grow with lights and have no idea about what is needed. It seems to me that some equestris flowering may be daylength or temperature related. I'm certain not all are as I can have equestris blooming in almost any month. It does seem that some clones or varieties may have triggers, many do not. For me, the clones 'Blue' and 'Blue Taiwan' were hard to grow and flower and I think mine all eventually died.

Latest posts

Back