Phal equestris coerulea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may have more name to it, but I’ve misplaced the tag and pot

Attachments

• EE4D5362-37B8-4CB0-860D-0BC37E31A49A.jpeg
    EE4D5362-37B8-4CB0-860D-0BC37E31A49A.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 30
  • 7413C61E-5AAF-4D60-80AB-E8DC4B3AEAFC.jpeg
    7413C61E-5AAF-4D60-80AB-E8DC4B3AEAFC.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 36
  • C6019B75-7BB0-41DE-9D30-E5A4FF6AF3C3.jpeg
    C6019B75-7BB0-41DE-9D30-E5A4FF6AF3C3.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 35
I love all equestris and this one is lovely. The pastel color is just
right. Now, where did you get this Phal.?
Hello Angela, I was looking for the tag from the pot. I think I bought it either at the deep cut show this year or maybe the sepos show from last year. i May have bought it from Main Street orchids, Marlow orchids or the phal vendor from Lancaster pa.
I had bought one a few years ago for my sister and had hoped it would keiki so I could ‘have’ it also :D . Of course it didn’t... I really like the color. It’s very pale dusty blue. My image color isn’t exactly the way it looks, it doesn’t have much color warmth in person, just blue. But hard to bring out with my phone editing app
After I got the plant, I had set it in an ebb and flood area I’d made. It was top heavy but with lots of roots, and kept tipping out of its pot (why I can’t find the tag). It alternately would be too dry not having roots in water, and then leaves dipped into the water and stuck under other plants. I ended up completely taking out of its pot, and when the water would be on I would set the roots down in it. Once it got warmer and the spike started, I perched it between pots so it would get watered and not tip over (it had lost some of the first buds because it was too dry)
I didn’t grow it in the clear dome it’s resting in for the picture, just to hold it up to get some images

Last edited:
Equestris in general like warm and moist while it’s the growing season, but in the winter they slow down some and don’t like being moist if its cool. So keeping wet while not growing in winter likely could kill it. I’ve done that.. and a while back I had mounted one on cork. It did pretty well until I had to move and rearrange things because of one of my moves

I grow quite a few Phals. and several equestris and I've discovered that
using a wood basket with loosely packed NZ sphagnum works just
fine. The roots can wonder around as they would growing on a tree
limb...and they do choose their own path and get very fat roots.

What is your media?
How often water?
What’s your water like?
is this normal equestris or the coerulea?
Is there a certain time of year that they die?
How do they die? Is the crown always rotting, are there leaf spots that move into crown? Are they always wilting before they die?

that’s a good start..

Latest posts

Back