Phal. borneensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

here are two examples of a species related to cornu-cervi in the Polychilos section

DSCF7853.jpg

DSCF7896.jpg

Forrest

Nice beautiful blooms! But I think they are not borneënsis. Plants from Borneo from the section are still very confusing, especially lamelligera, cornu-cervi and borneënsis. It could also be, that there are transition forms between the species.
I think your plants are probably lamelligera.

the first one looks pretty big, and the little I know about this group is that true pantherina is quite a bit larger than the rest. other than that I have no clues

2 years ago, I got about 20 plants form a batch labeled as Phal. borneënsis from an borneo import. But first I will show some pictures of Phal. borneënsis
which I made at Tenom agriculture park in Sabah:

Phalaenopsis borneënsis von epicphals auf Flickr

for comparison Phal. pantherina, also inTenom:

Phalaenopsis pantherina von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 6 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 6 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 8 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 8 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 3 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 3 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 2 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 2 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 1 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 1 von epicphals auf Flickr

Phalaenopsis sect. Polychilos 12 von epicphals auf Flickr

You see, the really don't look like Phal. borneënsis. You can see some which look like normal cornu-cervi, cornu-cervi Sumatra type, lamelligera and some with pantherina influence. Just the last shown plant looks like Phal. borneënsis. Very funny, I'd relly like to know, how this goes.

What can you tell me about Phal. lemelligera? I grew out a flask of them from Taiwan many years ago, only have 2-3 plants left. They are difficult to set seed on: you have to remove the pollen from 1 flower, dry it in the greenhouse 1-2 days, and then put the pollen into another flower. Even then your chances of getting a pod are less than 50:50.

What can you tell me about Phal. lemelligera? I grew out a flask of them from Taiwan many years ago, only have 2-3 plants left. They are difficult to set seed on: you have to remove the pollen from 1 flower, dry it in the greenhouse 1-2 days, and then put the pollen into another flower. Even then your chances of getting a pod are less than 50:50.

I guess that this problem has nothing to do with the species. I never had problems to get pods on my lamelligeras. Actual I have this problem with doweryensis. But I think it is a kind of culture problem.

Latest posts

Back