Phal. bellina var vinicolor!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Last week we discovered a very interesting Phal. bellina under our seedlings. The cross is Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS x Phal. bellina 'Round Star'. As it turns out Phal bellina 'Round Star' is a Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS x self, which means we have inbred Ponkan two times. As a result we got a very interesting seedling that turned out all vinicolor! It is definitely a bellina, and not a violaceae or a Samera (bellina x violacea), as this one has the very distinct "bellina" fragrance, also the foliage is very much like a bellina, and so is the shape of the flower. I am guessing after 2 rounds of inbreeding some recessive gene must have emerged. Has anyone ever come across another bellina like this?

Phal. bellina var vinicolor 'Fernbrook':

Phal. bellina var vincolor 'Fernbrook' outside shot, this color is more true to life:

Phal. bellina var vinicolor 'Fernbrook' -side view-:

Phal. bellina var vinicolor -plant-

Comparison shot, showing its parent Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS, a regular violaceae, and an indigo violaceae (violaceae coerulea).

Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS vs Phal. bellina vinicolor 'Fernbrook':

Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS:

Phal. bellina 'Round Star':

Phal. violaceae var coerulea (Indigo type):

Regualar Phal. violaceae:

That's fascinating! Do anyone know the origin of 'Ponkan'? From the artificially round shape (more P. violaceae like shape), it is pretty far from wild-collected P. bellina, right? I've been wodering if 'Ponkan' is a pure P. bellina.

If the color pattern of P. bellina is from a simple Mendelian segregation of one or two loci, you probably see other sibs with the same type. Are the other sibs from the cross has this color pattern?

Very funny! And nice!
Is it the first bloom from the cross or is it the only one plant what bloomed like that and other are normal?

Is it possible than the bellina "Ponkan" have violacea genes in previous generation or are you completely sure than Ponkan is a pure bellina?

This is the first seedling from this cross to bloom, so I am anxiously waiting to see the rest bloom. Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' is from Frank Smith's breeding program, so I don't know what the exact genetic background is of this plant.

What to me is bizarre, if you find a genetic mutation like this after several generations of inbreeding, you may find some albinistic traits pop up (so you may find an all white flower), but it is rare to find this kind of mutation to show up, so it is plausible that in the background of bellina 'Ponkan' there is some violaceae genes that have now shown up due to inbreeding...

Robert

This is the first seedling from this cross to bloom, so I am anxiously waiting to see the rest bloom. Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' is from Frank Smith's breeding program, so I don't know what the exact genetic background is of this plant.

What to me is bizarre, if you find a genetic mutation like this after several generations of inbreeding, you may find some albinistic traits pop up (so you may find an all white flower), but it is rare to find this kind of mutation to show up, so it is plausible that in the background of bellina 'Ponkan' there is some violaceae genes that have now shown up due to inbreeding...

Robert

I also asked one of my local friends about this bellina and let you know his response.

Hello Robert, I was wondering if Orchids Limited ever does
any quick and dirty DNA fingerprinting? Not that I doubt the parents of your red Bellina, but I'm wondering if the use of markers could eventually help you select unbloomed seedlings that are more likely to inherit qualitative traits such as this one (or indigo color in violacea crosses). Sorry for going a bit off-topic. I'm a Plant Biology grad student in MN, and I often wonder what the state of research is like in local orchid businesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a Ruby bred by Rob Shepherd of Sapphire Dragon Orchids that
looked very much like this one. That was at least three years ago and
I wonder where Sapphire Dragon went and where that Ruby went. I tried
to order one and the site was down at that time. I love your Phal.

Latest posts

Back