Peruflora Pk flask fiasco

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correction

I need to make a correction. In an earlier post I stated that Glen Decker from Piping Rock Orchids brought flasks of kovachii and kovachii hybrids into the U.S. in March of 06. That is incorrect. They were brought in the month of Dec. 05 so it is quite possible to have hybrid plants in bud at this time. My apologies to Glen and members of Slippertalk.

Sincerely, Jerry Lee Fischer

I know mine were small seedlings when I got them in July o6 and 2 out of the four crosses have grown amazingly fast (Saint Ouen and Cape Sunset). I have seen the ones in spike and the leaf span isn't any larger than my largest leaf, they have the seedling leaves and 4 mature leaves, mine are working on the second to last leaf. So I am now guessing mine are six months or less away from being blooming size if they continue to grow at their current rate. I don't know if these will bloom when mature or if there will be a seasonal factor.

Glen's were the largest from the flasks, grown in Hawaii and mine are growing in my kitchen window here in the northeast.

Ron; that is exciting! I hope that you get flowers by fall. Actually, it might be best if your plants waited. A summer blooming might not produce the best shape and colour. Phrags like besseae and schlimii do seem to be sensitive to temp and produce their best flowers in the cooler months.
BTW; was it you who posted (somewhere), a long time ago that Glen had seen an alba kovachii in bud? Any news on that? Thanks, John

John M said:
Ron; that is exciting! I hope that you get flowers by fall. Actually, it might be best if your plants waited. A summer blooming might not produce the best shape and colour. Phrags like besseae and schlimii do seem to be sensitive to temp and produce their best flowers in the cooler months.
BTW; was it you who posted (somewhere), a long time ago that Glen had seen an alba kovachii in bud? Any news on that? Thanks, John

I had misquoted info at that time. Glen, I believe, had seen a picture or heard info of a report of an alba. I have heard nothing more on that but will inquire to if any more have been heard of it.

gonewild said:
So my question was....

Is there a maturation time difference between species seed pods as compared to hybrid seed pods? In other words does hybrid vigor come into play in hybrid seed development.

Relating to kovachii....
Would a hybrid cross seed pod mature faster than a straight kovachii pollination? Assuming both are under the same culture at the same altitude.

Hi Lance,

I promised that I would find out for you. Here are three replies I received
from my friends who have experience:

I submitted your questions to three experienced friends, here are their answers

1) I'd have to look closely at my data, but as a first
guess I'd say no. I routinely expect to get
maturation times to be the same on a plant independent
of what pollen was placed on it. For example,
caudatum x slf and caudatum x longifolium both mature
at about the same time. the longifolium cross may
mature slightly earlier, but I suspect that this is
due to a less productive ovary and not the cross
itself (a weak pod of caudatum self will mature
quicker than a strong caudatum pod.).

2) Not sure on kovachii, itself ... As for other hybrids, it's usually 3 months.

3)I found out that the maturation time is linked to the
parental mother maturation habits .
Usually Pk seed pods mature in 3 or 4 months; hybrids using Pk as
the pod parent also mature in 3 to 4 months.
P besseae hybrids mature in the same time.

Jason Fischer said:
I need to make a correction. In an earlier post I stated that Glen Decker from Piping Rock Orchids brought flasks of kovachii and kovachii hybrids into the U.S. in March of 06. That is incorrect. They were brought in the month of Dec. 05 so it is quite possible to have hybrid plants in bud at this time. My apologies to Glen and members of Slippertalk.

Sincerely, Jerry Lee Fischer

Since these erroneous remarks in your original post were directed at me, I accept your apology.

peter

Greenthings said:
Hi Lance,

I promised that I would find out for you. Here are three replies I received
from my friends who have experience:

I submitted your questions to three experienced friends, here are their answers

1) I'd have to look closely at my data, but as a first
guess I'd say no. I routinely expect to get
maturation times to be the same on a plant independent
of what pollen was placed on it. For example,
caudatum x slf and caudatum x longifolium both mature
at about the same time. the longifolium cross may
mature slightly earlier, but I suspect that this is
due to a less productive ovary and not the cross
itself (a weak pod of caudatum self will mature
quicker than a strong caudatum pod.).

2) Not sure on kovachii, itself ... As for other hybrids, it's usually 3 months.

3)I found out that the maturation time is linked to the
parental mother maturation habits .
Usually Pk seed pods mature in 3 or 4 months; hybrids using Pk as
the pod parent also mature in 3 to 4 months.
P besseae hybrids mature in the same time.

Thanks, Now I need to go back in the thread and figure out why I asked the question. :confused:
I think it was about the dispute about timing of the first sowings of kovachii? Was the Peruflora hybrid in question set on a wallisii or kovachii?

Heather said:
ok, didn't realize that was 'Laura' as it wasn't labeled as such on the website.

Thanks Lance. :)

An interesting note about kovachii flowers.....
Glen told me in reality most of the flowers on all the plants are basically the same and most of the color variations are very slight at most.
Which is what I would expect.

Different lighting at the time a photo is made will completely change the color of the flowers. It is very unusual and interesting the color variations Peruflora's 5 plants represent.

talking about PK color, I came across this one on a Forum via a google image search. I had never seen this pic before Found it here http://www.orchidspng.com/discus/messages/16/51.html?1083763319

kovachii3.jpg

gonewild said:
Oh sorry, brain fart! :D

I found an old email where Glen confirmed that Laura is the one on his Homepage

..I guess I need to check file names and honestly, in a week it won't matter cause the hybrid will be up (I hope!) so I guess I will just hide my anal nature for a week and not worry ahbout the parents invoived.

It is HARD!!!!!!!! mind you all! :)

gonewild said:
Thanks, Now I need to go back in the thread and figure out why I asked the question. :confused:
I think it was about the dispute about timing of the first sowings of kovachii? Was the Peruflora hybrid in question set on a wallisii or kovachii?

Post #51 in this thread
Peter

Latest posts

Back