Peruflora Pk flask fiasco

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron-NY said:
Depends on which hybrids we are talking about. I have all four of Piping Rock hybrids. I have found that for me the Cape Sunset and Saint Ouen have grown rapidly and steadily. The other two have grown faster than the species but for me have been very slow growers. I have found that the two rapid growing ones have outpaced most other hybrid seedlings I have grown. But of course I really haven't monitored the others as closely as I have monitored these.

Did you check directly with Glen Decker if they have any flasks available of the hybrids?

Can you post pictures of the plants side by side to compare the leaves?

Yes, I have asked Glen about hybrid flasks, he says he plans to offer them but I think it is on Peuvian time.

suss16 said:
I have one seedling each of the St. Ouen and the Cape Sunset (from PR). For me the Cape Sunset is growing much faster - and has wide leaves for the size of the plant. The St. Ouen has narrower leaves. Both of them are sending out new leaves long before the previous leaf has finished growing. They are still in the original spag. but plan to transfer to S/H this weekend.

Can you post a picture showing them side by side?
When you repot them pay special attention to see how the roots compare to other species or hybrids.

I will take some pics this weekend for comparison and post them.

Greenthings said:
Heather, anyone, I have tried Edit Signature a few times since yesterday, I want to have my name under Greenthings where it now says bloom, I can not get it to work. I have typed my name in the Edit Signature Box, Saved it.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Peter Croezen

We didn't have your account set up for a custom user title. It is now set and I inserted your name.

gonewild said:
Can you post pictures of the plants side by side to compare the leaves?

Yes, I have asked Glen about hybrid flasks, he says he plans to offer them but I think it is on Peuvian time.

Here is three of them The small one is the Walter Schomberg cross, next to it is Cape Sunset and Saint Ouen is on the other end. Living Fire looks identical to the Walter Schomberg.
seedlings3.jpg

seedlings2.jpg

Jason Fischer said:
.....snip........Now let's talk about breeeding phrags, bloom times and seed pod maturation for a moment. I have been to Peru a couple of times. I have seen wallisii in bloom in August in the Tres Cerritos area near Rioja not too far from Moyobamba. It may indeed bloom in December in Lima but has it ever occured to you Peter that at different elevations or climates it could bloom at another time? It also does not take 1 year to mature a seed pod of this species. I have selfed wallisii many times and have made hybrids with it as well. The longest it has ever taken for a seed pod to mature for me is 6 months. I have had some mature in 3 to 4 months as well depending on temperaures and the type of cross made. ........snip..........

I think I am a pretty good grower. I have these hybrid and species seedlings in an area with bottom heat, artificial lighting, natural light and the right kind of fertilizer. I really baby them. They are just not that big yet even though I had kovachii and wallisii x kovachii in April of 05. .......snip.........

Phrag. wallisii blooms in December in Lima.
You said you saw it in bloom in August, in its natural habitat near Moyobamba.

The seed capsule takes one year to mature in Lima.
You said in Plymouth MN it matures in 6 month.

Jerry these are three different locations with three different elevations and three different climate conditions. Are you surprised by the differences?

Phragmipedium wallisii in their natural habitat at 2000 -3000 meters above sea level flower in April and May mostly, some can be found flowering any month of the year, not unusual for many species that grow that close to the equator.

In Lima, out of their habitat, at 200 meters above sea level with a totally different climate, they flower mostly in December and the seed capsule takes one year to mature.

Fritz Schomberg, who operates a very successful modern orchid propagation lab in Madison WI, made a cross with Phragmipedium caudatum in Lima, November 2005 and the seed capsule matured in December 2006.

Glen has the first Pk hybrids in spike. These were propagated in the CJM laboratories, extremely healthy and vigorous, the latter is what every experienced flasker is looking for to replate. Size is secondary, believe me, I have propagated tens of thousands of orchid flasks.

These seedlings were transplanted by Fritz, who has a PhD in chemistry, to his special medium in his Madison laboratory. Good care and flasking experience is hard to beat and is the reason why these hybrids are way ahead of yours Jerry.

The reason you got them one year earlier than Glen is because anonymous complaints against CJM arrived one after another at INRENA, who had to investigate each and every one. All of them were found to be unwarranted, but the end result was that CJM’s export license was delayed by one whole year, from the date Peruflora got theirs. Alfredo was effectively prevented from selling his Pk at the WOC in Dijon France. Alfredo has no enemies, for he makes no enemies. Go figure Jerry.

Ok you guys, you need to move your argument to something a little more private. This is not an appropriate place for that.
-blake

So my question was....

Is there a maturation time difference between species seed pods as compared to hybrid seed pods? In other words does hybrid vigor come into play in hybrid seed development.

Relating to kovachii....
Would a hybrid cross seed pod mature faster than a straight kovachii pollination? Assuming both are under the same culture at the same altitude.

gonewild said:
So my question was....

Is there a maturation time difference between species seed pods as compared to hybrid seed pods? In other words does hybrid vigor come into play in hybrid seed development.

Relating to kovachii....
Would a hybrid cross seed pod mature faster than a straight kovachii pollination? Assuming both are under the same culture at the same altitude.

Hi lance,

I truly do not know the answer, for I only propagate species. I would suggest that there may well be a maturation time difference, compared to the species, depending what other parent is used.

As far as the second question, let me ask those who did the hybridizing
for I never gave it a thought and consequently never asked them.

Hey guys,

Just for the record, I'm not the one who made all of these posts! It was my father, Jerry! He's just using my ID. In any case, he's done posting to what seems like a never-ending-story.

Best wishes,

Jason

right. and even then, he probably knows deep down in his heart that he should GIVE them to me...

Latest posts

Back