PEOY Spike: Is this normal?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
I expected the spike to continue straight up for awhile. The all of a sudden it took a left turn. Should I stake the stem straight? The stem isn't at all weak. Maybe it's just the sheath that's doing most of the turning and the stem will continue more or less straight? New territory for me. Thanks.
PEOY Spike.JPG

Last edited:
It is normal. No need to stake at this point. Two encouraging things to note right now are that the color is nice and dark and it is good size. As the stem gets longer, if it starts curving towards the floor, you might want to very gently support it. It is easy to break if you try to force it into an unnatural position. Mike

It is normal. No need to stake at this point. Two encouraging things to note right now are that the color is nice and dark and it is good size. As the stem gets longer, if it starts curving towards the floor, you might want to very gently support it. It is easy to break if you try to force it into an unnatural position. Mike
Excellent. Thanks for the guidance, Mike!

Already have done. Put it in a bud vase but nothing is happening !!!😜🤪

On a more serious note, it will grow into an arch, then elongate upward, then begin to straighten out as the buds are ready to crack. Try to orient it so that the width of the leafspan is perpendicular to the light source. The spike will aim toward the light and then the leaves won't interfere with the flowers.

On a more serious note, it will grow into an arch, then elongate upward, then begin to straighten out as the buds are ready to crack. Try to orient it so that the width of the leafspan is perpendicular to the light source. The spike will aim toward the light and then the leaves won't interfere with the flowers.
Unfortunately the perpendicularity isn't possible - I appreciate the idea though. The stem has gotten long enough that I could stake it mostly straight today. As suggested, I didn't want to be over-zealous with it all at once. Thanks!

Back