Peloric Phrag Green Hornet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it very interesting as a friend of mine had a similar experience with a Paphiopedilum. Attaching a photo of her noid Paphiopedilum

Attachments

• 340B5DB9-4F63-4EAD-8DEF-F10A6714C850.jpeg
    340B5DB9-4F63-4EAD-8DEF-F10A6714C850.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 7
I find it very interesting as a friend of mine had a similar experience with a Paphiopedilum. Attaching a photo of her noid Paphiopedilum
There’s an Australian Facebook orchid group that keeps a whole album of these crazy flowers. Absolutely amazing. I haven’t seen it in awhile and am having trouble tracking it down but well worth the look.

The reason I ask because I did a non scientific experiment with Epson Salts and my Phrags. It must of been in the 90s a guest speaker, a Phal expert at the time Bob Gordon mentioned using ES on his plants in the fall during spiking. His reasoning was to increase the color expression of his flowers. I had no Phals but I did use ES on all my plants and it was the Phrags that responded the strongest. The time was before bessae's discovering so mostly green Phrags. In particular, my Praying Mantis expressed strong maroon in the flower bracts as well as the flowers themselves. I got in trouble the higher the concentration of ES I used. The Phrag flowers became deformed like this. When I backed off on the concentration the flowers returned to normal.

The reason I ask because I did a non scientific experiment with Epson Salts and my Phrags. It must of been in the 90s a guest speaker, a Phal expert at the time Bob Gordon mentioned using ES on his plants in the fall during spiking. His reasoning was to increase the color expression of his flowers. I had no Phals but I did use ES on all my plants and it was the Phrags that responded the strongest. The time was before bessae's discovering so mostly green Phrags. In particular, my Praying Mantis expressed strong maroon in the flower bracts as well as the flowers themselves. I got in trouble the higher the concentration of ES I used. The Phrag flowers became deformed like this. When I backed off on the concentration the flowers returned to normal.
What do you use for ES concentration now?

Hmmm I use CAL-MAG Plus at 2 mL per gallon. About twice a month but I'm not overly careful on the schedule. The Green Hornet is constantly in bloom and this is the first spike that has wonky blooms. There are 2 other spikes currently blooming normally.

Maybe I over-supplemented it without realizing it?

Latest posts

Back