Peione formosana - early bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

arcticshaun

Reaction score
Pleione formosana - early bud

These are just 2 weeks out the the fridge (I couldn't wait any more) and are on a cool windowsill (it's -45 degees Celsius outside). This is the first year that I placed the bulbs in the fridge and I wish I had last year because I froze several bulbs and bulbils. I'll keep these fairly dry until after flowering. These will grow under my lights until June when they can spend the summer (all 3 weeks of it) outside in my garden. I will be collecting a few more Pleione hybrids as the flowers are very pretty if not very long lasting.

Shaun

Last edited:

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
Well done Shaun! My Pleione doesn't appear to want to bloom again this year. However, my Bletilla have broken dormancy early and are starting to spike a good 2 months ahead of schedule!

arcticshaun

Reaction score
Fren do you refridgerate your bulbs during dormancy? I've tried all my windowsills and cold storage areas but I couldn't maintain consistently cool temps (without the possibilty of freezing) for long enough to induce regular blooms. I'm going to try to wait longer next year to minimize the time that I have to grow under the lights before spring. I'd love to get some more from Fraser's Thimble Farms and have a variety to bloom throughout the year.

Shaun

Latest posts