Pecteilis sussanae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello!!! Last year I purchased some bulbs of pecteilis sussanae (and sangarikii) and now I see that they are sprouting!!! This is leading the way!!! The other two bulbs I have are smaller and still hiding in the mix!!! :D

Attachments

• pecteilis sussanae.JPG
    pecteilis sussanae.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
I'd put a bit more compost over that growth to make sure the top of the bulb is fully covered. The new roots grow only from the tip of the bulb - the same spot where the shoot comes out. If it is near or at the surface the roots may not grow well or become stunted from over-dry conditions (I'm saying this because I can see an exposed root tip in your photo). I did the same thing when I first got this species and had to put on more compost.

A fantastic plant by the way - mine is just starting as well.

TY very much for the tip, Tom!!! Although I cannot find any exposed root, I followed your advice... :)

Thanasis, youe medium looks a tad dry for this specie's liking.. I grow mine in normal potting soil mixed with a lot of crushed charcoal. At the bottom of the pot is a layer of medium charcoal and limestone. This species comes from Gunung Jerai in the state of Kedah (Malaysia) on slightly alkaline soils, covered with humus. It supposedly 'requires' annual wildfire to keep it growing well the following season. Interesting that your plants are just out of dormancy. Mine is half mature.. :)

Here are pics of mine taken about a month ago. They're in the plastic pots with limestone pebbles on top..
Susannae2.jpg

And a pic showing the medium I use:
Susannae1.jpg

I can see the difference!!! The mix is perlite with humous soil and some bark!!!
I have added some carcoal in the mix too, but not as a layer...!!! The thing is that I had them inside three weeks ago and it is not long that they received some sun to warm them up!!! Also I cannot control the watering so I prefer it this way!! One bulb has rotten and I do not water it often...lol!! TY very much for the info...:D

Updated photos!!!!

The pot with the big growth is sussanae and the pot with the small growths is sangarikii

Attachments

• P090609_09.47.JPG
    P090609_09.47.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
Paphioboy, now there are two bulbs in each pot! I hope there will be a good show too when they grow even now...:) The fact is that I had more and that is why you can see so many labels..:( A couple of them rotted of each species although I watered them two or three times with little water throughout winter and spring to prevent them from drying! One was given as a gift...:):):)

Back