Patio Tomato Garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

I must be a glutton for punishment trying to garden in the desert. We put these out at the beginning of February, and so far, I think we might be pulling it off...

1.jpg

Tomato plants before planting.

5.jpg

Tomato plants just after planting.

7.jpg

After two weeks.

9.jpg

After five weeks.

10.jpg

After eight weeks.

11.jpg

Bushy and blooming.

12.jpg

Fruits of our labor.

13.jpg

14.jpg

6.jpg

Enemies at the gate.

If I time it just right, I could probably have a nice fried rabbit and sliced tomato dinner.

Mmmmmm...fried rabbit.

If you want REALLY fine tomatos, they will need as much full (yes, even desert) sun as you can give them. Otherwise you will have way more green than red.

Are you trying to be cruel? I just started my tomato seeds yesterday and if all goes well I can put them outside mid-June for 24 hour sunshine. Hopefully seedlings work out as some are heirloom types (Purple Russian and Black Zebra) as opposed the nursery stock we get locally. Good luck, it looks like your on track for quite a harvest.

Shaun

Beautiful photos, plants, and tomatoes! I haven't gotten around to planting my seeds into the containers yet, but looking at your photos, I think I better make time and do it! Barbara

UPDATE!

We have been harvesting red ripe tomatos for a week and a half. We are up to three cherries a day on average, and the stems are full all the way up to the top of the plants. The Early Girl is setting fruit the size of golfballs, and the beefsteak (yeah, you read that right) has fruit the size of baseballs on the lower branches. The two tallest plants stand 6' 3", making them taller than me.

The most dissapointing turnout so far has been the Patio variety. Go figure. :)

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Sweet Cherry

24.jpg

Early Girl

25.jpg

Beefsteak

I think the Cherry pictured is "Sweet Cherry 100," and heck yeah, I have tasted them. Soooooo good.

Well, if you've seen one ripe tomato, you have seen them all. I will take a photo of some on the plant tomorrow.

The difference is in the tasting. :drool:

I will think about what I can do to prove to you that the tomatos are ripening tonight while I eat some with dinner. : )

Latest posts

Back