Parvisepalum specific culture questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i very much agree with Bob on this one, give it a bit of time before tackling a potentially expensive plant you might kill.

Bob Wellenstein said:
To be plain spoken, if you've already killed 4 or 5 armeniacums and micranthums each, which are not terribly difficult to grow, you should give the very limited population of emersoniis in cultivation a wait until you've improved your level of skills. They are far more difficult to grow, slow to grow, and are rarely being artificially propagated so I suspect most of the replacement stock is being collected/smuggled.

Bob,
I think last year Orchid Inn still have them, the cross is:
Paph. emersonii x sib ('Chico' x 'San Leandro')
If you look at emersonii the way manufacturer produce goods, they want the products to only be good enough & will breakdown after certain length of time, so the customers will buy new replacement.
Then it could be the best product in the paph world, something peoples want, but have to replace every few years.

micranthum culture

There are many different varieties of micranthums that are found growing at different elevations in the wild from 600m probably up to 1100m which in my opinion is why some are easier to flower than others.

I have always found the larger and darker flowers are the easiest to flower which could indicate that it is micranthum var. micranthum which tends to grow at the lowest elevation.

Heather is correct with the drop in temperature in winter! I generally try to lower the temp to about 4 Celsius, keep the plants dryer than normal and really increase the light; this is similar to the conditions in the wild during the winter.

Hopefully you will see your bud from the end of winter to the beginning of spring appearing!

In my opinion people fail with some of the Parvi species because they are some what scared to really lower that temp and wack up the light! Trust me it does produce buds!

PHRAG said:
These are the crosses I have, or will have shortly...

Magic Lantern (micranthum x delenatii)
Ho Chi Minh (vietnamense x delenatii)
Lynleigh Koopowitz (delanatii x malipoense)
Envy Green (malipoense x primulinum)
Memoria Larry Heuer (malipoense x emersonii)

It might be harder to generalize care for these, especially those with delenatii. Any suggestions?

This is a most interesting thread, I am gaining a lot from it. Oh and by the way I have 4 of the above listed hybrids so we will have stuff to discuss in the future!!!

Hien said:
Orchid Inn still have them, the cross is:
Paph. emersonii x sib ('Chico' x 'San Leandro')

You're right, Sam did have some of those available last year, but they sold out quickly. I bought a few and they are really fast growing, much faster than any other P. emersonii i have. I am hoping some of those will bloom this year or next.

Sorry, Hien, but apparently I will never be a successful orchid businessman as I will not view Paph species as a commodity (and I know that your comment was not fully serious, however the commodity attitude does seem to pervade the community these days). Not sure that I fit into the scheme of things these days.

Everything is a commodity. Look at how leaders throughout history have even decided that Lives could be thrown at enemies to result in an overall outcome. Of course there are valuable commodities, but everything can be looked at from the view of what its worth and and what its investent or disinvestment will result in. I dont believe Orchid vendors view 'planned obselecense' as a criteria for selling plants, they're just trying to getr the products out and make money. [That is the reason people go into business!]

Bob Wellenstein said:
Sorry, Hien, but apparently I will never be a successful orchid businessman as I will not view Paph species as a commodity (and I know that your comment was not fully serious, however the commodity attitude does seem to pervade the community these days). Not sure that I fit into the scheme of things these days.
I know you would get my funny thought:p On the serious side, things used to last a lot longer in the old days.:sob: .

Lien,
Maybe his breeding has made the species a little more vigorous and grower friendly.

Eric, isn't that sad, that lives are lost for the profit of a few. I wonder if those peoples could really sleep at night thinking about some poor soldiers' wife & mother.

I know. I had given up growing parvi for a while now. Now i'm concentrating more on the barbata and insignis group, which i have way more success.

Breeding has definitely had its effects on parvis's. It made delanatii an easy plant to grow and bloom. It seems to me, and I've posted this before, although no one has ever confirmed or denied it, that armeniacum and micranthum no longer seem to be stoloniferous. Years ago, those plants would be all over the place, coming out the drainage holes, everywhere. Now they grow neatly and contained. Supposedly easier to bloom...but my only concession there is that I can now get micranthum to bud...but it still blasts. Emersonii is still slow as *%$#, and a truly sucidal plant, but it (in its lifetime) has proven easy to both bud and bloom. Of course, I'm hoping to find a new one now...Take care, Eric

What is it about emersonii? I've never heard that they were tricky to grow. Do they rot easy? I don't own one, but would like to eventually.

P. emersonii grows slowly, and , in my experience, blooms easily. Unfortunately, in my experience, after bloom it shuts down and doesn't grow at all. Then, several months later, it just dies...top dies, roots seem to hold up. No prolonged death, no signs of sufferring...one day the leaves just fall off, dead at the base, otherwise looking fine. I find that bellatulum also dies in a similar way, with good roots and dead leaves, but at least bellatulum gives you the courtesy of letting you know that its going to die, and then drags out its death for way too long, like a bad actor.....Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back