• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parting with my vandas UPDATE: FREE FOR SHIPPING

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwester

Reaction score
Dont have room or time for these things. Plus, I never remember to water them.
I can get you pics of the plants, but not the flower since i didnt have a digital camera then.
V. Dicky Chau 'Hildos' - 6 inch basket prev. bloomed
Ascda. Suksamron Sunlight ' sunny' - prev. bloomed, i do have a pic of this one
V. Robert Delight 'Rajmu' - BS

All for $35 plus shipping
...oh, and I dont ship to the great state of Idaho.

Hadn't noticed that. I get charged the same for shipping that I would pay to ship at the USPS, irregarless of destination, in the lower 48 anyway. Priority shipping to Florida costs the same as to Idaho last time I checked.

no, it really is outrageously expensive to ship there, no kidding.

Candace said:
Are you funning or serious?

Seriously....

From the East Coast, I sent a plant to Idaho and priority cost me $17.00. That is the last time I include shipping in the price of the plant. I sent him a plant I paid $45 + 8 shipping ($53) for and charged him $40 total not realizing how expensive shipping would be. So I made a total, $-20.00 on that sale. Correct me if my math is wrong but whatever, it was a bad deal for me.

Not funny at all, in my opinion, and it's the last time I will ship to Idaho unless I know the shipping cost in advance. I also think that had I waited to charge for shipping until I knew the price, the recipient of the plant would have refused to reiburse me for the full amount because it would have been too expensive.

it's the last time I will ship to ANY LOCATION unless I know the shipping cost in advance would be the correct conclusion from this experience as shipping to WA or CA would have been even more expensive, eh? Yes, I did do some calculations and Priority is distance sensitive, at least at some level in their convoluted calulations.

Still, is it the shippers or the receivers responsibility to check things out before making a deal?:confused:

Correction: I got TWO plants. One was $40 and the other was $25, both including in the shipping costs. That is $65 total to me. Take out the $17 shipping and that comes to $48 net to Heather.

She offerred and I accepted. She knew in advance she was selling at under market value. Where in there is it my problem? Location is just and excuse and justification.

Last edited by a moderator:
IdahoOrchid said:
Correction: I got TWO plants. One was $40 and the other was $25, both including in the shipping costs. That is $65 total to me. Take out the $17 shipping and that comes to $48 net to Heather.

You aren't building in the cost I paid for the plants Steven. One plant or two doesn't matter, the point was the shipping, but whatever, you got them for a steal, and that's fine, but shipping wasn't worth the deal in my opinion.

At any rate, as I indicated, it was MY mistake, and I won't make it again. I know that shipping to the west coast is pricey and I build in for it. I did not know that Idaho counted as the west coast.

It's all in the past, I only brought it up because someone asked me if I was serious so I answered the question affirmatively. Shipping to Idaho is expensive.

And please don't edit my quotes. It's misleading.

It's the shippers responsibilty to get accurate charges. But I know how it feels to get burned by the post office. I sold some excess computer equipment from our business on ebay several months ago. I thought I was charging a realistic amount for postage and when I got to the P.O. was unhappily surprised. On two sales I made $1 and on one I lost $5. My fault. I think a mailing scale is a good thing to get and they're not that expensive. I've thought about it. It boggles my mind how expensive shipping is now.

But, to me, if I was on the receiving end of Heather's plants and she quoted me a shipping price and it was higher than reality....and I found about it, I'd send her the money. I'm not saying you should do so, Steven. But, that's the way I'd handle it. I consider these forums a group of friends..ebay sales with strangers involved are different(IMHO).

Steven,
When someone is nice enough to give you such an incredible deal, the very least you could do is reimburse her for the difference in shipping. Not offering that, in any situation like this, is plain out rude and reflective of poor character in my opinion. You burn bridges VERY quickly with such actions.

bwester said:
Steven,
When someone is nice enough to give you such an incredible deal, the very least you could do is reimburse her for the difference in shipping. Not offering that, in any situation like this, is plain out rude and reflective of poor character in my opinion. You burn bridges VERY quickly with such actions.
Brian (hope I got that right:eek: ), first you need to be able to determine when there is a "difference in shipping" when the plants were sold with shipping included in the price of the plant. I was told up front that I was being given a great deal, so how could I know that there was an issue or what her intentions really were? A kind word of explanation and a request for consideration by the affected party would be in order in this situation. To tell you the truth, I did not even look at the postage label to see what the postage was because of how they were transacted.

Knowing that there are people like Heather that sell and have sold their plants for great deals to new people has given me the incentive to watch for opportunities to do the same. Now I am starting to wonder. No, I will probably still try to do that, irregardless of your opinion.

If I sold you a $120 plant for $100 INCLUDING SHIPPING, what would you do?

Heather said:
Sorry, it was not my intention to be misleading. I have tried to change it to reflect my intention and respect your original comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heather said:

It is both misleading and rude to take something someone said, change it and then post it as their quote.

And yes, I did change my mind on our "transaction". But it was my plant to give away for free and if I felt that you were not the person I wanted to give something to, it is my prerogative to change my mind. It was rude of me not to inform you of my decision. But i'm in this hobby to have fun, not to deal with people I dislike.

IdahoOrchid said:
To tell you the truth, I did not even look at the postage label to see what the postage was because of how they were transacted.

And yet, when I notified you that I'd shipped the plants, I noted how expensive it was to ship to you in my email.

Being the well-respected seller that I tend to be, I NEVER would have asked you to re-imburse me for the shipping cost. That is not the kind of seller I am and I am not happy with how I am coming across in this thread. Anyone who has bought plants from me knows the care I take in shipping, and *generally* I am happy to eat a little of the cost. The only reason it came up here was because someone asked me why I would not ship to Idaho and I told them.

lienluu said:
And yes, I did change my mind on our "transaction". But it was my plant to give away for free and if I felt that you were not the person I wanted to give something to, it is my prerogative to change my mind. It was rude of me not to inform you of my decision. But i'm in this hobby to have fun, not to deal with people I dislike.

Steven, please remember that YOU reneged on an earlier deal that we made after I wasted much time going back and forth answering your questions about the plant. You agreed to buy the plant and then several days later backed out. I could have sold it to many others in the time I spent working with you, Steven, so I find it a bit ironic that you called out Lien about his decision.

Latest posts

Back