Parkside Orchid Fest

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skipping this.
Just got off airplane and we are broke.

Besides, I get The Queen in the mail this week.

One person's option of Parkside Orchid Festival

Well Donna and I went to Parkside Orchid Festival yesterday. The event its self, outside under the tents was as good as anytime that I've attended the event. Lots of choices for any of us. There were however a number to corners cut for the event. Only one bathroom and no wash station. No one to direct the cars on how and where to park. Now that sounds picky doesn't it? However the cars parked single file so lots of parking space was wasted. However it was Friday but I can only imagine the turmoil today. I also didn't notice a place to store your purchases, but I may have missed that but don't think so. The vendors had lots of nice plants and there were plenty of slippers to go around. Ten Shin had some paphs. but the species were going fast. I pre-order some plants from a couple of vendors. Then I bought a couple more that I had to have.

Before, I was there less than 15 minutes I was approached by an someone I knew that was shopping, and was told you just have to go inside and look at Parkside. So, I did just that. It was a shell of it's former self. There were about 1/4 or less plants than one would expect to see, probable less. No new stock was brought in for the event, and everything looked horrible. Like someone stated in another thread, you wanted to grab the hose and start watering. The plants were spread way apart, most having a square foot of room. That makes it very hard to water efficiently. I normally would have spent most of my money at Parkside even though the event was taking place. The plants were so bad, I didn't buy a single one. It was the place where orchids went to die. I would go so far as to say that if they were to sell out tomorrow and offer 10 mature plants for $100 that I'd have to pass. I personal feel very bad for the former owners and this must have killed them. My believe, right or wrong is that they will not be there one year from now.

Once again this is just one person humble option, so take it or leave it. I'm not here to defend my thoughts and won't be responding to others people who think that possible I was to harsh in my assessment.

I would like to leave this thread by saying I got some wonderful plants from the vendors and would encourage people to attend what is left of the event. I hope that other people who attend this event will also give us their prospective.

Last edited:
Thats a bummer they are letting parkside orchids fall apart, I had high hopes for the name and reputation that took decades to build, I guess I can't defend them

NYEric and I made a mini road trip to Parkside. We ran into fellow ST members eOrchids (Eric) and tant385 (Tantianna). I ended up getting 3 mini Phrags from Woodstream:

Phrag Lynn Evans Goldner x Bullseye
Phrag Pink Panther
Phrag Spot On x Pink Panther

IMG_2775 by cponsolle, on Flickr

Cordelia Head of J&L Orchids
IMG_2802 by cponsolle, on Flickr

Glen Decker of Piping Rock
IMG_2799 by cponsolle, on Flickr

Kristen Uthus of New World Orchids
IMG_2796 by cponsolle, on Flickr

tant385, RNCollins, NYEric, eOrchids
IMG_2806 by cponsolle, on Flickr