Parkfest 2013 - Anyone going?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how you did it Eric but you made that event look much larger than it was. Donna and I got up very early and went today. It takes us almost four hours to get there and we spent about an hour there. The large vendor tent was only half full. One of our members were there for Main Street Orchids. Matter a fact we brought home one of his plants.

It also appeared as if Parkside had half of the plants it used to and no one inside the greenhouse to give you advise or point you in the right direction. I wish the new owners the best of luck but don't see them surviving. Most of there phals. just had tags the read phal. hybrid. The paphs. however where labeled.

Truthfully we were there to see one of the guest vendors, Carri of Orchidphile. Was I glad that I went? Yes. I also incourage others to go. After all, how can an event get better unless we support it.

Last edited:
I didn't go ywt I will go tomorrow. But when I was there two weeks ago that is exactly how I felt to Bob. I left out of there kind of sad because I really loved that place when it was owned by John and Tom. Lime you said there was not near as many plants as thwy had before. But the worst part is that it just didn't fwll very friendly. I got kind of mad when I walked through all the greenhouse and a few people that worked there walked through and no one even said anything to me. I too wish them the best and I hope it works out but we will see. I will let you know how it was tomorrow when I go.

On saturday one of the judges who is a member of a locval society was there helping w/ advice, etc.. I guess they were busy w/ judging today.

I was there on Saturday. Picked up armeniacums from Glen @ Piping Rock Orchids. It was a good event and glad to see it back! :)

However, entering Parkside Orchids, it was a sad feeling. 3 of the 5 greenhouses were filled with orchids. The fourth greenhouse was partially filled with bonsai from a local bonsai society. I miss John and Tom and hope Parkside Orchids the best.

Okay.

So Parkside isn't what it was a few years ago. It's still a really good orchid nursery with a lot of variety. With all the purchases going on over Ebay and the like, the shrinkage in AOS membership, and the ever shrinking growing areas, how can they be expected to be the same? Tom and John had shut down a couple greenhouses before they sold.

The types of vendors that were at Summerfest are the ones that need to be supported, or eventually there won't be many places to buy orchids other than the internet. How can they be expected to keep greenhouses heated and at the same time compete with anyone that can unpack a box from a Hawaiian wholesaler, list the orchids on ebay (or set up a website), and sell the orchids out of their kitchens?

Summerfest was a good event - not like it used to be - but there isn't any show anywhere that's as good as it was 5 years ago.

Latest posts

Back