Parishii "Awesome"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!! Excellent plants, I have a really hard time growing brachy's next to high elevation multis, I would be very proud of my parishii if I were you, congrats!!!

Hey Mike! That's wonderful! It likes you(!)....they all like you! Everything looks so nice and healthy. Congrats on such a beautiful blooming on that parishii. It was a really nice surprise to sign on and get to see this. Very nice!

BTW: Nice, black background is achieved with a piece of black velvet. Other material won't absorb the light in quite the same way. You end up seeing the cloth instead of just black space. Black velvet is the only way I know to get that "plant floating in space" look. Some people don't like that because it's not very creative and plants don't grow in space,...yadda, yadda, yadda. But, I like making great photos of my plants, featuring only my plants and showing the correct colours. Using black velvet material as a background and using natural light with no flash, is the best way to do that.

Hey Mike! That's wonderful! It likes you(!)....they all like you! Everything looks so nice and healthy. Congrats on such a beautiful blooming on that parishii. It was a really nice surprise to sign on and get to see this. Very nice!

BTW: Nice, black background is achieved with a piece of black velvet. Other material won't absorb the light in quite the same way. You end up seeing the cloth instead of just black space. Black velvet is the only way I know to get that "plant floating in space" look. Some people don't like that because it's not very creative and plants don't grow in space,...yadda, yadda, yadda. But, I like making great photos of my plants, featuring only my plants and showing the correct colours. Using black velvet material as a background and using natural light with no flash, is the best way to do that.

Thanks John,

Yeah plants are doing well overall! The parishii blooms were a bit hard to stake up. The stem with the buds would bend almost completely pointing down without me holding them up. I wonder if they would have perked up on their own or if the spike would have ended up with the flower bearing part going straight down?

Thanks again, still looking forward to that koopwitz division!

Thanks John,

Yeah plants are doing well overall! The parishii blooms were a bit hard to stake up. The stem with the buds would bend almost completely pointing down without me holding them up. I wonder if they would have perked up on their own or if the spike would have ended up with the flower bearing part going straight down?

Thanks again, still looking forward to that koopwitz division!

If I remember correctly, that plant and other parishiis that I've had in the past (with the exception of one plant back in 1989, which had a VERY pendant stem that drooped and curled it's way below the level of the botton of the pot), have always had an upright stem....to the point of the lowest bud. Then, the portion of the stem with the buds curls right over. That is normal as the stem grows. However, as each bud opens, the bit of stem before it lifts up; so, only the bud portion remains curled over. I noticed your staking of the flower stems in the photo and wondered if I should suggest that you just let the stem elongate naturally, because in the end, it will be mostly upright and then, just one stake with a hook just below the lowest flower is all that will be needed to give the whole thing a good stance.

I almost never stake a multi-flowered Paph stem until at least the first flower has opened. Then, I usually only provide support up to just below the lowest flower...or, even lower than that....just enough to hold the stem at the angle that I want it at. Then, the plant is free to find it's own "happy place" for the flower-bearing portion of the stem. After I've installed the short stake, supporting the non-flowering portion of the stem, I then sometimes get a stem that stands bolt upright, anyway. But, sometimes I get a stem that has a very elegant arch, beginning with the first flower, gently curving up and over and finishing at the last flower.

Here's a photo of this plant last year. Notice that the stake is just a 16 guage florist wire and it doesn't come close to the lowest flower. The stem originally grew out at about a 45 degree angle. As the flowers opened, it would've sagged even lower. However, once a couple flowers were open, I added the florist wire stake and positioned the stem where I wanted it. The plant then continued to elongate the stem and open up the rest of the flowers. As you can see, in the end, the plant set a very nice stance for the flowered portion of the stem and it only had a little bit of help/guidance from me.
2014-07-21%20083-2%20Paph.%20parishii%20'Awesome!'.JPG

I agree with John. A lot of people put too much emphasis on staking multis. I always hope for a somewhat upright stem with short petaled multis but with the medium/long petaled ones I like to see an arching stem. If they are too upright the beautiful hanging petals become a tangled mess with the flower below and the presentation is sloppy. I let them grow naturally and use a wire below the bottom flower unless it becomes necessary to stake higher......which is not often. If the stem is too weak to support itself then there is usually something else wrong; after all, nobody stakes them in the wild and they seem to do just fine. :D

PS....Mike this was just an observation in general. I think you've done well with your parishii. :)

Nice! John M. has some really nice plants.

You will do well with it. I'm jealous!! Great clone.

I agree with John. A lot of people put too much emphasis on staking multis. I always hope for a somewhat upright stem with short petaled multis but with the medium/long petaled ones I like to see an arching stem. If they are too upright the beautiful hanging petals become a tangled mess with the flower below and the presentation is sloppy. I let them grow naturally and use a wire below the bottom flower unless it becomes necessary to stake higher......which is not often. If the stem is too weak to support itself then there is usually something else wrong; after all, nobody stakes them in the wild and they seem to do just fine. :D

PS....Mike this was just an observation in general. I think you've done well with your parishii. :)

The only multifloral that I would go "stake straight up" is rothschildianum. With the others such as lowii, parishii, haynaldianum, etc. I bend a wire to an L shape and use it as a brace for the steam but still in cascading orientation.

Wow, what a parishii. Wonderful! :drool:

Unfortunately, it seems I can't grow this species as the one I have is slowly but surely dying. I'll enjoy other, successful, parishii owners' pictures instead.

Beautiful parishii. I have been searching for one of these ( BS of course ) but can't find one anywhere!!

Ed
Popow has it Popow - Paphiopedilum parishii

Elsner might have it (I would suggest you e-mail and ask first to be on the safe side): Elsner - Paphiopedilum parishii

I beleive parishii is s high elevation multi, very warm summer very cool winter 50 degrees farenheit night low 60 - 65 day high winter for 3 - 4 months should have no problem, I always have at least 60 percent humidity with my orchids

Latest posts

Back