Papilionanda noID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Saw at a nursery. I suspected this could be Papilionanda Gelora Bandung (Vanda Memoria Fumiko Otomo x Papilionanthe teres). The vanda parent is a hybrid with heavy vanda coerulea influence:

Memoria Fumiko Otomo = Onomea x coerulea
Onomea = Rothschildiana x sanderiana
Rothschildiana = sanderiana x coerulea

I like the nicely spaced out flowers, but it appears to have only 1 blooming season per year like teres and coerulea. I initially did not buy it the first round but went back a second time to get myself a top cutting in bloom. :D

No fragrance. All papilionanthes and their 1st generation hybrids have the petals turned 180 degrees, which make the flower resemble a Holcoglossum.

Pretty flowers. You were lucky it was still there.

The nursery has benches and benches of the same hybrids, including many of the old Vandaceous hybrids which contributed to the booming cut-flower orchid market in Singapore and Malaysia about 40-50 years ago. :D

That's interesting. do you root the cutting in water? Thanks for sharing.

Eric, it has aerial roots. They usually plant it in brick and charcoal mixture topped with sawdust.. I plant it the same way but replace the brick pieces with styrofoam to make the pot lighter.

Latest posts

Back