Paphs images 2007 from my collection-so far

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paph rothschildianum

Although mine is flowering only with a single flower I am proud of it. I bought it as a young plant in March 2002 and the leaf span was about 22 cm. It took me nearly 5 1/2 years to grow it to flowering size with a leaf span of 65 cm. The measurement between the two tips of the sepals is 20 cm. I know the stance of the pedals could be slightly better but nobody is perfect. :)

paph_rothschildianum

paph_rothschildianum_1

and two closeups of the staminode

paph_rothschildianum_2

paph_rothschildianum_3

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.
Best regards from Gernany, GuRu

I completely agree with those who admired all your pictures. It would be interesting to have details about camera, lens and light!?

Schöne Grüsse aus Luxemburg

Jean

It would be interesting to have details about camera, lens and light!? Schöne Grüsse aus Luxemburg Jean

Hello Jean,

danke für die Grüße aus dem schönen Luxemburg - ebensolche zurück nach dort!!
Regarding my photo equipment - since 4 weeks I use a Canon Power Shot S5IS with 8.0 Megapixel before it was a Power Shot S2IS with 5.0 Megapixel. I had to change the camera because our son dropped it down in September and it went kaput. Both cameras have/had a 12x optical zoom and that's very important for shots of flowers and close ups an macro and an super macro mode. The focusing distance is between 10 - 50 cm in the macro mode and between 0 - 10 cm in the super macro mode.
These macro features were an important reason for me to choose this type of camera.
My lightning set is an portable 200 W halogen lamp like it is in use on construction sites. I use it only in an indirect way to avoid strong shadows within the motive or in the background.
I'm just the guy who looks through the view finder !!! :rollhappy:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

This Powershot Canon seems to be really performant. Do you use the built-in flash and/or a tripod?

I am using a Canon EOS 350D with a 60mm Macro-lens, but I am not too happy about the depth of field ;of course I normally use the built-in flash and no tripod, because this is hard to install in a crowded greenhouse.

Schönen Gruss
Jean

very nice pictures and photos. I like the daynum. Great closeups. Do you use extension tubes or do you have a macro lens?

Do you use extension tubes or do you have a macro lens?
No I don't use extension tubes I just use the camera's lens. It's got a focal length of 6.0 - 72.0 mm - wide angle until 12 x zoom. For close ups or small items you can choose between two settings macro mode (10-50 cm distance to the front of the lens) and super macro mode (0 - 10 cm distance).

This Powershot Canon seems to be really performant. Do you use the built-in flash and/or a tripod?
...of course I normally use the built-in flash and no tripod, because this is hard to install in a crowded greenhouse... Jean
Yes it's a high performance camera in my eyes.
I try to avoid flash light because it causes strong shadows and especially in the macro or super macro mode different areas of brightness in the motive - a bright area above and a darker area below the lens - to avoid this a ring flash light was better.
I always use a small tripod I think to take a good close up without a tripod is impossible at least in my eyes. I began taking close ups with using the automatically settings of my camera nowadays I switched to the manual mode i.e. I choose a diaphragm of 7.2 or 8.0 (for a high depth of field) and adjust shutter speed. The camera shows me either in the view finder or the monitor on a scale when appropriate setting is reached.
But to say it frankly I never was and am no expert in photographing. I'm really happy with the modern cameras where nearly all things run automatically.
Schöne Grüsse nach Luxemburg
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

I choose a diaphragm of 7.2 or 8.0 (for a high depth of field)

I like to stop down to f22 at a minimum. Makes for a long exposure but the depth of field is much greater. I too use manual because even the new cameras cannot account for a large dark background and a colored flower. They will almost always overexpose.

That said your pictures are great.

Latest posts

Back