Paphiopedilums and photoperiod

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Damas

Hello, I was wondering myself, for those who grows under lights, how long do you light them every day, and do you apply season changes to photoperiod ?

I give mine the same time year round.(14-15 hrs.) They might get a photo period difference from the sun as all my light carts are near windows. I try to supplement the artificial light with natural light where possible.

16 hours of light nearly year round. Garage is insulated, no natural light- 16 h all the time. Upstairs ex-bedroom- we back off a little in winter just so the neighbors don't get too suspicious; little indirect sun.

-Ernie

I agree with Ernie, I feel that slippers don't need the photoperiod change, maybe a temp change, but not light. Most of the slippers that I grow are from near the equator they get pretty similar light year round I guess. But than again look at how nice Ross's plants always look compard to mine.... :evil:

Thank you All for answering ! I think it is very interesting to share such information. :clap:

Mine get 16 hours in the summer and 12 winter. They have no other source of light....only the HID lights.

I do 16 hours a day, courtesy of Ernie, one of the speakers at our society.

I do ~16 summer, and ~14 winter. I don't know if there's a huge need for the change, but it makes me feel like I'm helping them know what season it is :) lol And I can tell myself I'm saving just a little bit of $$ w/ the shorter duration for winter!

Mine get 16 hours in the summer and 12 winter. They have no other source of light....only the HID lights.

Hi Wendy! the october issue of Orchids arrived in Lux. today! Just had the time for a brief look, but stopped at page 742: A Basement Greenhouse!! Is this the same Wendy??:):)!! Jean

Wow ! A Basement Greenhouse ! That sounds great Wendy ! :clap:

a very good description of your growing area Wendy, congratulations for that!!!!! great pict. of the lady in her 'sunroom' with pets and plants around, a lot of really strong slippers!!! and great photo of the phrag. Nitidissimum and of Galeandra dives! :clap::clap::clap: Jean

Mine seem to flower with dramatic changes in photoperiod. I get 9.5 hours in winter and up to 16 hours in summer.

So I guess it depends on what you grow. My parvi's and complex hybrids do ok with the above conditions.

16 hours of light nearly year round. Garage is insulated, no natural light- 16 h all the time. Upstairs ex-bedroom- we back off a little in winter just so the neighbors don't get too suspicious; little indirect sun.

-Ernie

I'm wondering why some growers give more than 12 hrs of light per day for their plants if grown under lights. Does this benefit the plants somehow? There is nowhere in the world that gets 16 hrs, or even 14 hrs of sun all year long. On top of that, there is extra cost having the lights on for that long. Please help.

This is not exact and depends from the inclination of the planet Earth and it's position compared to the Sun. Here in Paris, in summer, for instance Day starts at 6:00am and sun won't go down before 10:00pm. You got your 16 hours. :poke:

Oops, sorry I forgot to read the "All year long". I think the goal is not to reproduce natural conditions but just to get the best out of our plants.

Thanks. Anyone else?

Hey Wendy - I just got my mag on Thursday. Nice article! I was wondering which article people were talking about, then I got it in the mail! You must have got it early because of your article. A testament to the great Canada Post (or perhaps the border security) - mail from the U.S. can get to Luxembourg faster than to Canada!!! :confused:

Wendy - it was great to read the article about your basement grow-op! :D It was great.

I was wondering what you do for water in the winter time; don't your rain barrels freeze up?

Back